[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this meaningless letter still allowed to exist?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

File: letterC.jpg (24KB, 1024x781px) Image search: [Google]
letterC.jpg
24KB, 1024x781px
Why is this meaningless letter still allowed to exist?
>>
I know right! And why have Q when we can just use KW?

XDDD
>>
>>9418142
because "ch", you cockslap
>>
Check this out
>>
>>9418159
It makes sense to invent a new letter as a replacement for a digraph for the sake of efficiency
>>
mase (with no c would this be pronounced maize or as it should be: mace?) same with rice, nice, etc.

Along with what those said above about ch, I'm sure there's plenty more examples like these that warrant us keeping c...
>>
>>9418198
But "rice" and "rise" are actually pronounced the same as far as I know.
>>
>>9418142
>>9418159
>>9418175
>>9418181
>>9418185
>>9418198
>>9418205
English is a fucking mess. Never trust the anglo with the latin script.
>>
I think we need to bring back the thorn
>>
>>9418205
What?
>>
>>9418205
are you serious? "rice" is pronounced with an "s" sound, and "rise" is pronounced with a "z" sound
>>
>>9418237
>>9418239
Well I'm Dutch, guess I just pronounced it wrong in my head all the time.
>>
>>9418245
ah, you write well enough that I assumed you were a misguided native English speaker
>>
>>9418205
then get the damn marbles out of your mouth
>>
#include <iostream>

Using namespace std;

float theTruth()
{
String OP = " fucking retard"
Cout << "OP is a " << OP << endl;

System ("PAUSE");
Return void;
}
>>
>>9418142
Blame the French.

One is an Anglo-Saxon word, one is a Latin word through French. The Romans pronounced it with a hard 'k' sound too.
>>
>>9418142
kuntsinder the following xD
>>
>>9418185
Not when Q almost always has to be used in conjunction with U.
>>
Fuck off ESL
>>9418205
Fuck off ESL
>>
>>9418435
Northern England generally pronounces 'cook' as /kūk/, the south as /kuk/.
>>
>>9418435
kould you keuhk me some tshokolate tship pankakes please?
>>
>>9418403
lmao
>>
>>9418446
kould hue keuhk miy suhm tshokolate tship pankakes pleyc?
>>
>>9418443
Cuck
>>
>>9418142
Because it's a comedian
>>
>>9418222
>implying real spoken Latin was anything like what's presented
Prestige Latin is a lie, made up by rich Romans and churches. Get off your high horse and embrace the glory of Germanic phonetics, morphology, and syntax.
>>
>>9418468
No, cuck is pronounced to rhyme with duck, while cook rhymes with shook
>>
>>9418483
As is always the case, pronunciation of English differs every few miles or so.

I pronounce 'cuck', 'shook', and 'duck' all with exactly the same 'u' sound, but 'cook' is with a long 'ū'.
>>
>>9418142

C is softer than S you morons
>>
>>9418245
Auslautverhärtung sucks...
>German here
>>
>>9418488
You pronounce "shook" as "shuck"?
>>
>>9418488
>pronouncing 'shook' as 'shuck'
>>
Thats should be its own letter like the Russians do.
>>
>>9418142
>meaningless

You don't know what that word means. It means a lot to a lot of people.
>>
>>9418504
>>9418506
Yes, as do most people.
>>
>>9418518
But that's wrong.
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=define+shook
>>
>>9418523
> links the exact same pronunciation

Mate, I know how I speak. And it's how the vast majority of natives pronounce 'shook'.
>>
>>9418488
what the foock man
>>
>>9418518
YOU
SHUCKED ME ALL NIGHT LONG
>>
>>9418518
do you realize that the inverted omega in IPA stands for "oo" is in "book" and "cook"?
>>
>>9418518
SHo͝ok
vs
SHək
>>
>>9418529
Yes indeed, and which is a short 'u' sound.
>>
>>9418534
I hope you're trolling, because you're absolutely wrong
http://teflpedia.com/IPA_phoneme_/%CA%8A/
>>
>>9418534
>buk
>cuk
Stop baiting
>>
>>9418538
This is either a board of cretins, or foreigners.

These are *all* pronounced with a short 'u'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vME18_vURk
>>
>>9418544
Forgot picture.

All 'u'. Not 'oo'.
>>
>>9418524
Then you're pronouncing duck and cuck wrong.
>>
>>9418544
t. ESL-kun
gaijin desu
>>
>>9418544
>>9418548
A short "u" is like the one "duck", which is not the same sound as the "oo" in "cook" or "shook" (which, by the way, are the same), which is not the same as the "oo" in "scoop".

I speak competent Standard American English. Where the hell are you from?
>>
>>9418551
> pronouncing wrong
No such thing, anon.

There is a pronunciation 'of the majority', and millions upon milions of pronunciations 'of the minority'.
>>
>>9418548
Holup wolves is pronounced wulves?
>>
>>9418559
that's not how linguistic communities work, senpai, there are definitely dialects within broader languages that have pronunciation differences, but if you take it upon yourself to pronounce "cake" as "cuck" you're simply wrong and your personal idiolect does not constitute a linguistic community
>>
>>9418558
Northern England.

'Duck' and 'cook' are pronounced exactly the same here. To us northerners, a southerner or American saying 'duck' sounds like 'dack', and is indeed one of the ways in which we belittle other accents.

> lav a dak
would be someone making fun of a Southern pronunciation of
> love a duck
which in the 'pure' vowels of northern England would simply be
> luv a duk

Southern English, and hence American English, underwent dipthongisation of their vowel sounds. Northern English kept the pure vowel sounds or monopthongisation from the original Old English

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monophthongization
>>
>>9418565
> I go around speaking in my own personal accent
No, anon, my accent is older than your fucking country.
>>
>>9418570
wait, the Northern English make fun of *other* pronunciations?

haha!
>>
>>9418575
you absolute vapidity, you said that any pronunciation is legitimate
I said that idiosyncratic pronunciation within a community is incorrect, not that there is only one correct pronunciation
>>
>>9418585
That still would not be 'incorrect'. There is no such thing.

There is merely intelligible and unintelligible. No one is going to fine or imprison you for speaking weirdly.

Having said that
> vapidity
>>
>>9418591
what kind of ideological baggage are you bringing into the word "incorrect"??

someone who pronounces a word wrong is still intelligible given the context of the utterance, but that doesn't make it correct, and people *will* correct a non-standard pronunciation
language is a norm-driven human practice, get over it
>>
>>9418142
I like the norwegian name "Sindre".
>>
>>9418570
> lav a dak
This sounds more like Anglo or Australian English than American.
>Southern English, and hence American English, underwent dipthongisation of their vowel sounds. Northern English kept the pure vowel sounds or monopthongisation from the original Old English
WE
>>
>>9418601
You've just disproven your own point.

In a community with a non-standard pronunciation, no one is going to correct a non-standard pronunciation which is nevertheless standard in that community.

I go around every day speaking in a 'non-standard' English accent, and yet so does everyone else around me; hence no one 'corrects' me.

An accent is by definition an accepted non-standard pronunciation.

>>9418609
But my point is that there is no 'Anglo pronunciation'; what you see in movies and on TV may be, but if you step only a few miles outside London, you'd meet every possible pronunciation of every kind of word.
>>
>>9418622
I say 'Anglo' because I don't know the geography of England.
>>
>>9418622
no community has a non-standard pronunciation, the community's pronunciation *is* the criterion of standardness

>An accent is by definition an accepted non-standard pronunciation.
An accent is a pronunciation style, not a non-standard one. It doesn't even make sense to speak of "standard English" in general.
>>
>>9418322
I don't have marbles, I have crabapples in my mouth
>>
>>9418142
English spelling is all over the place desu, an extra letter is the least of your problems
>>
File: 1492903379017.jpg (401KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1492903379017.jpg
401KB, 1920x1080px
>>9418175
Most of these result from mistranslations of the Greek χ. For example the word "Christ" in English, uses the correct pronounciation from Χριστός (Christos). The word "church" is related and in German, it's correctly pronounced "Kirk". However, in English, whoever transferred the word did not understand how to pronounce Greek (Or German). You can also see this from the word "children" and its German equivalent "Kinder" (rooted in the word "kin", with which we can trace many words).

If "ch" is the only relevant use of the letter "c" then "ch" itself should be a letter and not "c".

tl;dr Stop using the letter C and stop defending illiterates from two thousand years ago.
>>
>>9418142
This is just an orthographical quirk. What you have indeed pointed out is that "C" does not indicate a unique phoneme, and thus is irrelevant to the structure of language. Thus there is little pressure for it to change.

t. linguist
>>
>>9418142
b-but my post colonial influence..
>>
>>9418403
still gets me.
>>
>>9419899
Plus how many other letters in English represent multiple phonemes? Vowels must have like 5 each...
>>
>>9418205
One is voiced and the other isn't son
>>
ITT: Fucking Australians.
>>
>>9418142
It should be kant, then.
>>
>>9418725
Utter fucking nonsense.

Germanic (*not* German) 'kirk' became Old English 'circe', and then 'c' beside any front vowel became 'ch', hence 'chirch'. And the same with 'cild', into 'child'. Norse 'skip' became 'ship'.

This may be connected with the mixing with Gaelic languages, as this happens in Scots/Irish too, 'Saoirse' is pronounced 'sirshe', for example.

Absolutely nothing to do with so-called 'illiterates'.
>>
>this fucking thread
I pity you anglos
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.