[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading Thomas Mann

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 71RxZ3FoZIL.jpg (185KB, 1044x1360px) Image search: [Google]
71RxZ3FoZIL.jpg
185KB, 1044x1360px
Hey, /lit/. I was at a book sale yesterday and copped a copy of The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann. I read on Mann's wikipedia page that he initially intended for the novel to be a follow-up to to his novella Death in Venice, but the former turned into its own thing.

Who here has read either of these books? What do you think about reading Death in Venice before The Magic Mountain.
>>
>>9417286
I've only read Death in Venice, so I'm not the most apt person to provide an answer. I just want to say that I don't see how that story could have a sequel. I'm going to guess that no, Death in Venice is not any sort of prerequisite for reading The Magic Mountain. I hope someone more knowledgable comes around because I too am looking forward to reading more Mann soon.
>>
>>9417286
My mothers Godmother died recently and iI inverited quite a few numbers of books and there are a lot of Thomas Mann novels but I know little to nothing about his books.
Is he worth reading?
>>
>>9417436
>inherited
>>
>>9417436
>worth reading
Was the early 20th century Nobel Prize not a good enough indicator for you?
>>
>>9417473
I haven't really heard much about him and never looked him up either...
>>
>>9417486
Start with Buddenbrooks, but before you read him you should at least have read the Bible, Schopenhauer, Goethe, and be pretty knowledgeable on German idealism in the early 20th century. And don't expect the """plot""" to be the main focus for any of his books other than maybe Joseph and His Brothers, and being the 1500 page monster it is you should probably read that one last
>>
>>9417510
I have that book at my parents house I think but it is in Fraktur and I am not used to reading that...
>>
It's not necessary to read Death in Venice before The Magic Mountain, nor is it necessary to read the Bible, Schopenhauer, Goethe or books on German idealism. You can get something out of his books on multiple levels, even if it's "just" entertainment.
>>
>>9417286
I have read both books. It's not at all necessary to read Death in Venice before Magic Mountain (in terms of plot they are completely unrelated and do not reference each other). However, I'd recommend reading Death in Venice first to see if you like Mann, because Magic Mountain is very long and a pretty big time commitment. Death in Venice, on the other hand, is somewhere between a short story and novella in length.

It is not necessary to read the Bible, Schopenhauer, Goethe, or anything the other anon mentioned. I fucking hate this meme on /lit/ that you must have already read the entire western canon before attempting to read any single work from the canon. Magic Mountain is a philosophical novel, yes, but the ideas are presented very clearly in conversations between the characters (almost like a Platonic dialogue), so feel free to just read the god damn book.
>>
>>9417827
But Platonic dialogue is unbearable.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.