[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to become a gentleman/lady?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: MayFairPleb.jpg (47KB, 496x396px) Image search: [Google]
MayFairPleb.jpg
47KB, 496x396px
Snobbery is rife in literature, but do you think it is possible to transition into being a snob?
Or can snobbery and gentlemanly behaviour be mutually exclusive?
>>
>>9414497
reminder to sage and report non-lit threads.
>>
>>9414497
They sell fedoras on amazon
>>
>>9414502
>Pygmalion is not literature
Yeah okay.
>>
Read Emily Post
>>
File: pipe-fedora.jpg (66KB, 750x751px) Image search: [Google]
pipe-fedora.jpg
66KB, 750x751px
>>9414497
Any conscious effort to become a "gentleman" without already being one necessarily devolves into contrived and ersatz fedoraism.
>>
File: professorhiggins.jpg (52KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
professorhiggins.jpg
52KB, 500x368px
>>9414497
While we're on the subject, was he /ourguy/?
>>
>>9415702
he was pretty /lit/
>>
>>9415869
Ol' Rex. Based on Pygmalion, that. /lit/ enough i'd say.
>>
File: cockneyfu.jpg (58KB, 1020x420px) Image search: [Google]
cockneyfu.jpg
58KB, 1020x420px
>>9415702
>autistic obsession with the english language
>spergs out about everything
>hates women
>NEET
>probably gay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APPfTEv-YxI
>depends on his mother
definitely /ourguy/
>>
>>9417913
>probably gay

Gay men like the irrational "fun" of a woman's mind. It's straight men that can't stand their shit and write/sing songs about how their brains are broken.
>>
>>9414652
you fear fedoras so much, that you don't seek to improve how you interact with others.

Are you implying that one must be born a gentleman? It would seem that all of the published books of etiquette were written in vain.
>>
>>9414497
to be a snob is to be the opposite of a gentleman
>>
>>9414497
A gentleman/lady is just a polite, well-mannered person; a snob is someone who looks down on perceived inferiors. Do the former while avoiding the latter and you're set.
>>
>>9417931
>are you implying that you must be born a gentleman
In almost all cases, yes.
I was born into what you would consider a southern aristocratic family, so I became aware early on of what being a gentleman entailed. It's something that's really hard to learn and be accepted as later on in life, no matter how many books you read. You might get by with acting like a gentleman, but you will most likely never be one.
>>
>>9418013
Being a gentleman has nothing to do with ones disposition, plenty of gentlemen I know are crude sociopaths, some rape and murder. A gentleman, through his upbringing simply knows how to behave in upper class society when the situation calls for it and is at ease with his peers.
>>
>>9418117
Social standing (which ultimately just boils down to wealth) has nothing to do with it; there are butchers, bakers and candlestick makers more gentlemanly than that.
>>
>>9418132
Class and wealth are distinct entities, although there is a correllation. Read Class by Paul Fussell, it will clear up your confusion and is wickedly funny to boot.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.