[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

taoism general /taog/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: The_Tao_of_Pooh(book)_cover.jpg (29KB, 349x500px) Image search: [Google]
The_Tao_of_Pooh(book)_cover.jpg
29KB, 349x500px
please respond -edition
>>
>please respond
sry will take too much unnatural effort
>>
>>9413652
i understand
>>
File: 1489731373206.gif (248KB, 373x434px) Image search: [Google]
1489731373206.gif
248KB, 373x434px
>>9413493
What's important besides nature?
>>
i enjoyed stephen mitchell's translation
like i get that it's not a 1:1 version but i feel that it was sincere and conveyed a bucketload of meaning to me
>>
File: dihydrogen monoxide.jpg (242KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
dihydrogen monoxide.jpg
242KB, 960x720px
>>9413904
The moral lessons gleaned from water. And the 'li' it exhibits.
>>
Everytime I think I get taoism I realize I don't have a fucking clue
>>
>>9413493
>please respond
>contending with the will of the cosmos

You will never be a Taoist, OP.
>>
>>9415095
Is it the will of the cosmos for taoist threads to die with 0 replies?
>>
>>9415401
Yes, "Western Taoism" is disgusting.
>>
>>9415065
just stop thinking then
>>
>>9413493

i'll respond

what should i read senpai
>>
>>9415648
The book in OP is a great place to start

>>9415544
Thanks senpai

>>9415422
How so?
>>
>>9413493
You posted the Daodejing twice last time, you ignorant pleb: https://warosu.org/lit/thread/S9379720

Intro to philosophical Daoism, Confucianism, Chinese Buddhism:
An Introduction to Chinese Philosophy by JeeLoo Liu

Intro to religious Daoism and its long history:
Introducing Daoism by Livia Kohn

Yijing:
The Complete I-Ching by Alfred Huang
(the Yijing is a proto-Confucian and proto-Daoist text, in addition to being a divination book)

Daodejing:
The Daodejing of Laozi by Ivanhoe
(this translation is also contained in its entirety in Readings in Classical Chinese Philosophy, which is an anthology with some of these writers, Confucius, Mencius, and more)

Zhuangzi:
The Complete Works of Zhuangzi by Burton Watson

Neiye:
Original Tao: Inward Training (Nei-yeh) and the Foundations of Taoist Mysticism by Harold D. Roth

Liezi:
The Book of Lieh-Tzu by A.C. Graham

Wenzi:
Wen-Tzu by Thomas Clearly

Hanfeizi:
Han Feizi: Basic Writings by Burton Watson
(it's a foundtional text for Legalism, but Han Fei also commented on the Daodejing and made into the over 5000 texts of the Daozang, the Daoist canon)

>>9417020
Read these books, especially the second
>>
>>9417020
Shouldn't you be recommending Tao te ching instead of some random westerners interpretation? It's always best to start from the source and not have ones perception skewed by others interpretations
>>
>>9417036
Tao of Pooh is way more approachable and the comparison is ingenious. It's logical progression to go from there to (Te of Piglet to) Tao Te Ching and not other way around
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.