[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Torching the Modern-Day Library of Alexandria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: peeps.png (26KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
peeps.png
26KB, 396x400px
https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2017/04/the-tragedy-of-google-books/523320/

Somewhere at Google there is a database containing 25 million books and nobody is allowed to read them.

>You were going to get one-click access to the full text of nearly every book that’s ever been published. Books still in print you’d have to pay for, but everything else—a collection slated to grow larger than the holdings at the Library of Congress, Harvard, the University of Michigan, at any of the great national libraries of Europe—would have been available for free at terminals that were going to be placed in every local library that wanted one.

>At the terminal you were going to be able to search tens of millions of books and read every page of any book you found. You’d be able to highlight passages and make annotations and share them; for the first time, you’d be able to pinpoint an idea somewhere inside the vastness of the printed record, and send somebody straight to it with a link. Books would become as instantly available, searchable, copy-pasteable—as alive in the digital world—as web pages.

>It was to be the realization of a long-held dream. “The universal library has been talked about for millennia,” Richard Ovenden, the head of Oxford’s Bodleian Libraries, has said. “It was possible to think in the Renaissance that you might be able to amass the whole of published knowledge in a single room or a single institution.” In the spring of 2011, it seemed we’d amassed it in a terminal small enough to fit on a desk.

>“This is a watershed event and can serve as a catalyst for the reinvention of education, research, and intellectual life,” one eager observer wrote at the time.

>On March 22 of that year, however, the legal agreement that would have unlocked a century’s worth of books and peppered the country with access terminals to a universal library was rejected under Rule 23(e)(2) of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
>>
Really makes you think
>>
>>9413284
>the elites are afraid of giving people unresticted access to books
Next you'll tell me that the sky is blue
>>
>>9413284
Whatever, people already have access to more information than they can ever hope to consume in a lifetime these days, not to mention you can already get more books than you'll ever read online easily anyway. Releasing another 25 million books for free online would do nothing but increase the already paralysing amount of information available online that people won't read anyway.
>>
>Somewhere at Google there is a database containing 25 million books and nobody is allowed to read them.
Those books are available to read, just not through Google's database. They're not inaccessible or lost.
>>
>>9413552
t. globalist shill
>>
>>9413557
A large portion of them are out of print though. There could be a genius there who is ignored because nobody has access to their books
>>
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Mass literacy was a mistake. proles have no use for reading.
>>
>>9413563
I really don't understand what it is I said that made you think I'm a shill for anything. I'm just stating the obvious which is that saying that making all those millions of books available for free will in any revolutionaze education in a world where people already have thousands of books available to them and yet most people don't read a single fucking book that's not YA shit is ridiculous to say the least. Everyone who has even a passing interest in either literature or any field of study those books belong to already know how to easily get all the information they can digest.
>>
>>9413284
I have about 100gb of books found on the net in my own language. You can find about everything you need on the net.
>>9413552 is right
>>
File: 1466864222612.png (249KB, 475x430px) Image search: [Google]
1466864222612.png
249KB, 475x430px
>>9413569
>>
>>9413284
Teaching the plebs to read and write was a bad idea. They make writing smell like old fish. In a century even thinking will have become plebeian. They ruin everything. REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>nobody is allowed to read them
Stopped reading there

These articles should calm themselves
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.