[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting with the Greeks: How important is it that I read the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: iliad.jpg (12KB, 207x299px) Image search: [Google]
iliad.jpg
12KB, 207x299px
Starting with the Greeks: How important is it that I read the Robert Fagles translation as opposed to the free Edward Earl of Derby translation?
>>
>>9410710
Lattimore you bampot
>>
>>9410710
>Δεν μπορεί να διαβάσει Ελληνιkά
>>
>>9410710
I'm reading lattimore atm.

Fagles seemed real fucking dumbed down but I'm enjoying the lattimore
>>
>>9410710
Fagles sucks, and there are an absurd number of free translations online
http://classics.mit.edu/Homer/iliad.html
>>
>>9410710
> Translation

>>9410719
> Modern Greek
>>
>>9410710
I only have the lawrence translation, should I buy a new one?
>>
>>9410732
if you don't like reading online, you can walk into any used bookstore on earth and find a cheap copy
>>
>>9410710
Peruse and ponder on the Hereward Goochley translation just newly out. Remember to masticate thoroughly.
>>
>>9410710
who the fuck is edward earl of derby? Was he given the dukedom because he was good at translations, or is he just some rich kid whose ancestral titles make idiots think he knows what he's talking about?
>>
>>9410744
Free version for kindle on Amazon.
>>
>>9410734
fitzgerald >lawrence>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>fagles
>>
>>9410766
sorry, didn't mean 2 be so mean. If you're going to pay for a translation I'd highly recommend Fitzgerald. I don't like fagles and haven't heard of that Earl
>>
>>9410744
He was an earl, not a duke
>>
>>9410778
>>9410766
Scratch that, Lattimore is at least as good a translation and the e-book is much cheaper
>>
>>9410766
It's like you've never heard of Project Gutenberg or something
>>
>>9410780
thanks m'duke
>>
>>9410728
>>9410732
I don't know Greek, but people who do usually describe Homer's verse as lean, muscular, musical, and so on. To my mind, Fagles fits such descriptions much better than Lattimore. Lattimore's verse feels academic, like it was composed indoors on a writing table. Fagles's stuff actually seems raw and with qualities of oral poetry, but also elegant.
>>
While we are at it, which the best translation of The Aeneid? I have the WF Jackson Knight translation from Penguin. pls no bully.
>>
>>9410710
Read whatever translation you enjoy, it's as simple as that. Fagles was a page turner for me, so it was better for me because I actually enjoyed it. Maybe you'll hate it. Just go to a book store or library and have a look at the different ones, and see which you like the most.
>>
>>9410997
I have Penguins too. Then like a week ago I saw some rager denouncing Penguin wholesale. So idk if I fugged up
>>
Read all of them you fucking plebs.
>>
Fitzgerald is probably better than Fagles.
>>
I just bought this book of 15 classic Greek plays. Should I read the Odyssey and Iliad before these plays or after?
>>
>>9411427
There's nothing wrong with penguin as a whole. They occasionally use bad translations, but so does every other publisher of classics.
>>
Lombardo - vouch

If you want to memorize particular lines or sections to belt out at parties, though, get them from Alexander Pope's version
>>
>>9410738
did u know my town is so uncultured we had 4 bookstores and they're all closed now hahahaha I miss walking in a picking up a random book to enjoy I hate my life
>>
>>9412233
>that cover

But why
>>
>>9410855

Lattimore's aim was to represent as accurately as he could the sense of Homer (including trying to replicate the repeated, formulaic aspects, which many modern versions do not) in a line that gave some idea in English of the ancient dactylic hexameter. Fagles (like quite a few others) tried to translate Homer into English poetry - Chapman, Pope, Fitzgerald, Mandelbaum, Rees, etc. Different readers (with and without the language) have different preferences. There really is no one way to represent Homeric poetry in English; and each translator (including those into prose) will provide something different.
>>
Reading Iliad currently and I'm wondering: who are the 'bad' guys in the story?
>>
File: pepe phd.png (234KB, 545x530px) Image search: [Google]
pepe phd.png
234KB, 545x530px
>>9414877
>>
>>9414877
The gods.
>>
File: doryphoros 2.jpg (19KB, 307x600px) Image search: [Google]
doryphoros 2.jpg
19KB, 307x600px
fagles is a great introduction to homer. it is not necessary for someone who isn't a classicist to read it in the original greek, though it is a noble project i guess. keep in mind all translations are inherently flawed. to try and make a perfect translation is some don quixote, futile, hubristic shit.

if you ask me? sample the translations from pope to fagles then read the fagles slowly. read out loud if you can. then read a bunch of secondary lit. finally read the lattimore.

after this you'll realistically be the most informed in your circle (triangle) of three friends that would even give half a fuck about this sort of thing.

>>9410997
i really enjoyed the fitzgerald translation. fagles did one as well though i haven't read it.
>>
Derby is a bit odd, though not bad at all. He's prone to inventing his own contractions to maintain the flow rather than changing the phrasing, which has mixed success. His word choice is excellent, he always manages to pack a punch with elegant and emotionally charged vocabulary. Still not as good as Lattimore, but probably the next best thing if Lattimore's approach is to your liking.

t. My uni library has a first edition Derby so I decided to give the first few books a read
>>
>>9414877
The Trojans.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.