[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Terry Pratchett

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Terry-Pratchett-assisted--007.jpg (22KB, 460x276px) Image search: [Google]
Terry-Pratchett-assisted--007.jpg
22KB, 460x276px
What do you guys think of his literature?
>>
He really hated the jews. it shows in every book.
>>
>>9410053
I've only read a few of his books and they were pretty good. I couldn't imagine reading all of them.
>>
Many of his books are funny and quirky, but I guess he overdid it quite a bit.
>>
>>9410056
How so? Actually interested.

>>9410087
Same, I think I got as far as Pyramids. I'm still mad that he just retconned the second book about the female wizard, what was all that about?
>>
>>9410053
He became a phenomenon because his work is entertaining and he brought out a new book every year. There was always something to talk about if you and the people you know followed him. He became largely irrelevant when he died because most of his work has little to no merit beyond that social aspect.

It's like the marvel movies.
You really think anyone is going to go through them when they're no longer "happening"?
>>
File: PK_PK444_CST2015.jpg (218KB, 650x1170px) Image search: [Google]
PK_PK444_CST2015.jpg
218KB, 650x1170px
>>9410053
his earliest stuff and his last stuff are the best
strata and the first discworld novels are great. mort is a good one too
dodger and nation are good too
i've only read a handful of the middle discworld novels and they are all kind of fun to read but i can't really recall anything from any individual one of them. i think some witches are involved.
>>
Great. People compare him to the likes of Gaiman, but Pratchett actually deals with worthwhile philosophy from time to time, he's a level above the common fantasy pulp.
And he brings clever humour, not many writers (even literary) succeed at that.

Excellent entry literature, but also enjoyable for big readers.
>>
>>9410298
>big readers
>>
>>9410103
yeah this. he was a clever dude but it's not like the guy wrote high literature or whatever. not that that's even the goalpost he was aiming for so who cares
>>
>>9410053

Tolkien for special snowflakes
>>
>>9410103
>because most of his work has little to no merit beyond that social aspect.
His articles about having Alzhemiers and in support of assisted death are excellent
>>
>>9411634
he was satirizing tolkien and that entire slew of stodgy fantasy writers.

weird thing is, the city of Ankh-Mopork was a satire on Lankhmar, from Fritz Lieber's Fahfrd and the Grey Mouser stories which were, themselves, satires of common fantasy tropes.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.