[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I start with Scruton?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Roger_Scruton_by_Pete_Helme.jpg (456KB, 605x903px) Image search: [Google]
Roger_Scruton_by_Pete_Helme.jpg
456KB, 605x903px
How do I start with Scruton?
>>
File: chinaman.jpg (8KB, 355x397px) Image search: [Google]
chinaman.jpg
8KB, 355x397px
>>9409672
>le tobacco industry shill
>>
You start with Burke.
>>
Throw it in the trash.
>>
>Analytical Philosophy
Sorry senpai, this is /lit/, we only masturbate to gibberish French philosophers who died of AID's.
>>
>>9409848
Scruton isn't analytical

I don't know, OP. I've read Modern Culture and it was breddy gud
>>
File: 1470853899184.jpg (27KB, 425x283px) Image search: [Google]
1470853899184.jpg
27KB, 425x283px
>>9409848
>AID's.
>>
my only contact with this guy was on a documentary called why beauty matters and mostly it was him crying tears of blood because contemporary ''art'' was ugly, he'd point out piss christ or some buildings with graffiti and abandonment as the peak of ugliness, and then he'd go about some old traditionalist painting as being beautiful, and he just seemed like such a whining bitch - why can't there be beauty in those abandoned cold buildings? the old paintings he worshiped looked like shit too. i know he's famous in art criticism so i wonder if i should put any attention to him eventually but that shit really put me off cause he just seemed infatuated with this sort of "we're in the worst time for culture / true art requires ACTUAL ability" thinking
>>
That's too vague, OP. Are you interested in his aesthetics or his politics?

Assuming politics, then The Meaning of Conservatism is probably his central work, and How to be a Conservative is if you're interested in how to apply conservative ideas in your own life. I also found Sexual Desire to be quite interesting, and the ideas he puts forth are part of the conservative framework.

Culture Counts was the first thing I read by him, and that's also worth checking out even if you're not particularly interested in the philosophy of aesthetics, and besides it's not very long.
>>
>>9409968
Also this documentary is worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoybTk6TEX4
>>
>>9409672
Beauty: A Very Short Introduction
>>
>>9409672
the trash
guy is a retard who doesn't understand contemporary art
>muh neoclassicism
>>
>>9411173
t. art history undergrad
>>
>>9411258
His documentary about beauty really is garbage though.
>>
>>9411173

>Muh words games

Fuck off critical fag.
>>
>>9411173
>guy is a retard who doesn't understand contemporary art
Because anyone who understands the point Duchamp was trying to make would naturally admire his artistic efforts? Tell us what you mean, please.
>>
>>9411260
That documentary tried to sum up several lectures in like an hour, of course it isn't going to get his point across.
>>
>>9411173

>Dude these paint splotches are really important, you just have to read 80 articles on jstor to understand them!
>Anything the average person could appreciate should be fucking burned, those proles haven't been to Stanford their opinions don't matter
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.