[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into (visual) art? Into knowing about the Bauhaus,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

File: Gustav Klimt (154).jpg (95KB, 700x545px) Image search: [Google]
Gustav Klimt (154).jpg
95KB, 700x545px
How do I get into (visual) art? Into knowing about the Bauhaus, or what romanticism was, into knowing about the most important pieces and why they're important, into knowing the names of the hot upcoming artists? It just seems so impenetrable - there are no museums or galleries in my area, there's no site like RYM or Letterboxd for art, and I know of no forum that discusses these. It all seems terribly closed to college students and first world countries with an active scene. How is one supposed to even follow the current status of it?

Is there a canon of literature I can check out that could orientate me? Particularly interested on having a good grasp of the overall history, avant-garde movements, and criticism.
>>
>>9409529
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Story_of_Art
>>
>>9409529
you really just have to do some digging on the internet. I find out about contemporary artists usually by accident. As far as history goes you can just get any general art history book. Some are more comprehensive than others of course, but any will give you the ability to start investigating a movement you're interested in or whatever. Here's a list of artists that I've found that I like. Some of them aren't that great and most of classic guys I leave off because I already know they're work. A great deal of this list is post-1950. I hope you can get something out of it.

https://pastebin.com/a4BBmVjU
>>
File: shock of the new.jpg (26KB, 348x474px) Image search: [Google]
shock of the new.jpg
26KB, 348x474px
>>9409532
This is a really great accessible introduction.

Janson and Janson's History of Art is a standard but wonderful textbook on the history of art. You can definitely find an older edition at any used book store.

I'd also recommend pic related for more information of Modern Art. Anything Robert Hughes is great.

John Richardson's massive biography of Picasso is a great read, and because Picasso is so important you get a good history of that era of art as well.

No one reads Walter Pater's The Renaissance as a serious history, but he's such a great writer and has a very important attitude towards art that you have to check it out.

Robert L. Herbert's book on impressionism is great. The subtitle is "Art, Leisure and Parisian Society" but don't mistake it for something overly historicized or drowned in theory or something. There is definitely a huge focus on the art itself.
>>
File: 1492715526001.png (1MB, 718x960px) Image search: [Google]
1492715526001.png
1MB, 718x960px
Read Brian Sewells reviews for laughs
>>
>>9409532
>>9409561
>>9409591
>>9409628
thanks much boys
>>
>>9409529
We used 'Gardner's Art through the Ages" as our primary text book in my Art History 101 and Art History 102 courses. Its a massive text book, starts with neolithic cave art and moves all the way into the 90s and early 00s.

The other text book I recommend is 'Art in Theory' there are a couple versions with different date ranges. It's essentially a bible of important art writing by historians, artists, philosophers and even politicians and other public figures. Its not a 'guide book' really, its just the primary sources, so it's best read alongside a traditional textbook like Garder's Art through the Ages.

For contemporary art, Art Forum, Art News, Sculpture, October, Hyperallergic are all great magazines to be reading.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.