[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LOTR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: ladda ned.jpg (6KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
ladda ned.jpg
6KB, 275x183px
Prove to me LOTR will be timeless faggots, people don't even read it nowadays.
>>
People don't read anything nowadays. All of literature is sliding into obscurity. Welcome to the post-literate society.
>>
>>9408469
Why should I?
>>
>>9408469
It's just first of many annoying fantasy novels.
If you have to read something from Tolkien, just read SIlmarillion.
>>
File: image_10.jpg (53KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
image_10.jpg
53KB, 600x600px
>>9408850
>unironically reading the proper nouns book
>>
>>9408793
More people read now more often than ever before in history.

This "glory days" perception of literature where everyone was reading Shakespeare and Milton is a fantasy with no actual basis.
>>
>>9408994
>More people read tweets, texts and Facebook updates more often than ever before in history.
ftfy
>>
File: 1467421147528.png (218KB, 708x754px) Image search: [Google]
1467421147528.png
218KB, 708x754px
>>9409195
There are more people alive today, much larger percentages of the populated that are literate, and absurdly more available books. It is fucking unthinkable that more people don't read, and read more, than in the past, regardless of how small the percentage of the general population that reads anything of sophistication is. There's still more people reading such than ever.
>>
Ok so I'm reading LOTR and they've just met Tom. He talks to them about space-magic for two weeks, flaunts his sexy river-wife and uses the one ring as a conversation piece. How does this progress the story in any way?
>>
>>9409199
It fills in some of the background of Tolkien's setting.

If you're not reading LotR for the journey, you're not reading it for the right reasons. What do you think that huge map folded into the endpapers is for?
>>
The Silmarillion is his best work anyway
>>
>>9409199
it's mostly filler. jackson made a lot of good decisions when cutting things out of the book.
>>
>>9410106
Like all of the character development?
>>
>>9410122
like a lot of the filler
>tom bombadil
>merry and pippin sleeping forever in fangorn forest
>the fight for the shire at the end
>>
>>9408469

The movie adaptations pretty much ensures its popularity.
>>
>>9410135
>not liking the Scouring of the Shire

This is the ultimate separator of plebs from patricians when it comes to LOTR.

I bet you wanted the army of the dead to actually appear at the Pelennor, too.
>>
>>9409199
If you ever come across the Eagles debate (or, indirectly, the Wings debate), you would do good to remember Tom Bombadillo.
The world is a big place, and Sauron and the Ring are regional concerns.
>>
File: facepalm.jpg (5KB, 147x147px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.jpg
5KB, 147x147px
>>9409199
>progress the story
>>
>>9410135
>scouring of the Shire
>filler

This must be bait.
>>
Reminder that Balrogs don't have wings
>>
>>9409198
How old are you? Barely anyone reads literature nowadays, and less and less people will continue too. I'm not being a pessimist, just observing the state of things. Yes, people will be "literate" but they won't be reading novels, just things online or to communicate.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.