[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/litcrit/ - Literary Theory and Criticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: literary criticism.jpg (15KB, 309x301px) Image search: [Google]
literary criticism.jpg
15KB, 309x301px
Hey guys, I'm trying to expose myself to more literary critics beyond the basics of Harold Bloom et al. In the process I would like to put together a basic reading list of at the very least some authors to check out, especially authors who focused on novels more than poetry or plays. So far I have:
>T.S. Eliot
>F.R. Leavis
>John Middleton Murry
>Denis Donoghue
>Matthew Arnold
>Sainte-Beuve
>Theophile Gautier
I feel like I'm focusing too much on people active in around the 1940s with just a peppering of 19th Century Frenchmen. How can I even this out?
>>
If you want some theory from successful novelists, I liked these:

The Art of the Novel by Kundera

For a New Novel by Robbe-Grillet

Aspects of the Novel by Forster

Lectures on Literature by Nabokov
>>
>>9403943
I've read bits and pieces of Forster's essays but never anything from Aspects of the Novel so I'm likely to check it out. I'm not a huge fan of Kundera and I've heard some hot opinions from Nabokov; do you think those would still be worth reading?
>>
>>9403924
definitely Auden, probably Wyndham Lewis and TE Hulme/Read

Baudelaire might balance Gautier, maybe pick up Asti Hustvedt's The Decadent Reader.
>>
>>9403924
Just get the Norton and go from there
>>
>>9403988
Hm, my brother has a couple Lewis books that I'll have to borrow. How much does his fascism impact his aesthetic philosophy though? I've also heard TE Hulme's name thrown about.
>>9404090
I have the norton, I thought too much of it was spent on postmodern lit crit, I'm looking for a more traditional base of understanding right now. They have stuff like Poetics which is handy but then other stuff like Sidney's Defence, which I didn't particularly care for. I know it's important but it's not quite what I'm looking for.
>>
>>9404150
>How much does his fascism impact his aesthetic philosophy though?
His political commentary's out there, but he's more Victorian than fascist. It's a bit like Pound or Eliot, you could read a lot of their shit and never come across the Praise Hitler quotes. I mentioned him because he kind of closes off the dying days of Victoriana, and Hulme likewise opens up the end of that era into modernism. Lewis is fucking harsh on late Victorian shit, and his aesthetics on that shit is the kind of caustic you feel bad for even if you agree with it at times. It's not fascist driven, but if he'd hated antifascists like he'd hated the end of the Victorian era, Hitler might have won.
>>
>>9404677
Okay cool, I'm a big fan of the late Victorian novels so that sounds like a nice fit. Thanks man.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.