[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone come up with a reading list for someone who wants

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: 1461150572432.jpg (219KB, 1200x780px) Image search: [Google]
1461150572432.jpg
219KB, 1200x780px
Has anyone come up with a reading list for someone who wants to have a good general understanding of history? I know nothing about this world's lore except what I learned in high school, and my memory of that is fuzzy. It's a sad state of affairs.
>>
>>9403843
Do you read books? Should i provide you with a list that has depth, or should i find a list of ok pop fiction?
>>
>>9403855
>pop fiction
pop history
>>
>>9403855
Of course I read books. Why else would I be here? Don't recommend pleb shit.
>>
Start somewhere that interests you, read thoroughly on it, and then pick up information on an overlapping group, time period, or civilization, and read thoroughly on it, and continue until you die.

Stay away from any 'complete history of the world' books or courses, as they will always fail you and generally just want to get an idea about history into your head. You should know by now a general if flimsy framework of History, and what is more important than an all-encompassing worldview is getting context, detail, and actual lore to change they way you see individual parts of the world.

Some people start with the Greeks and their neighbors, and after studying them, move on to cultures they influenced. If so the sticky should have lists on that, but you can really start anywhere, and you should primarily start with things that interest you, otherwise you'll never get yourself to learn anything. Start with military history and where it originated, perhaps, or regional history of where you live, or religious history and how those organizations exerted their influence and split, changed.

I started with Polish and English history because they both interested me in different ways, and I've been going from reading pop fiction to history books to primary texts, and then branching out when the knowledge I've gained changes the way I see other topics, etc. Really, I think picking one topic at first and aiming to branch out is better than trying to all at once create a list that will teach them 'everything'
>>
File: Penguin-History.png (735KB, 976x759px) Image search: [Google]
Penguin-History.png
735KB, 976x759px
>>9403864
After the Ice - Mithen
Temples, Tombs & Hieroglyphs - Mertz
In Search of the Trojan War - Michael Woods
China: A History - John Keay
India - John Keay
The Landmark Thucydides: A Comprehensive Guide to the Peloponnesian War
Kagan's Pelopennisian War
SPQR - Mary Beard (fuck the haters, she is read by classicists who arent on a mongolion pastoralist social media site)
Herodotus
Livy
Tacitus
The New Testament: A Historical Introduction to the Early Christian Writings - Ehrman
Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire until the sack of rome by odacaer
Records of the Grand Historian - Sima Qian
History of the Byzantine Empire - Vasiliev
A history of Islamic societies by Ira M. Lapidus
The Venture of Islam books 1-4
God's War: A New History of the Crusades - Christopher Tyerman
sir george sansom's history of japan
The Thirty Years War: Europe's Tragedy - Peter Wilson
Lords of Sipan
Maya 9th Edition - Coe
Third Reich Trilogy - Richard Evans

Pic related is a great series from top of their field academics, and should fill in the holes. If you want monographs on specific subtopics, use oxford bibliographies.
>>
>>9403919
Conquest of the Incas by Hemming is also fucking excellent, and river of trees convers pre-european south american nicely.
>>
>>9403919
Napoleon the Great and Citizens by Schama.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.