[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best argument for the existence of God, /lit/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

>>
>>9402260
None. It is baffling how people believe in a magical man in the sky creating everything.
>>
>>9402260
Cosmological argument isn't bad, but I think it points more to a deist God than a God of religion.
>>
>>9402260
>tfw seeing pictures of clouds immediately makes me think of dfw memes and sam harris
/lit/ ruined me
>>
>>9402260
there isn't one
you can't argue for faith
>>
>>9402260
Historical continuity of shared religious experience by sincere devotees.

The validity of the Christian message outside theology, IE moral arguments

Personal indoctrination over time (cant shake the spook)

Examining Spinoza's world view
>>
>>9402266
Yes, this one of Kants main problems with it, it cannot accurately determine the ens realissimum (ie. the perfect christian god) and even if it does, it just falls back into the ontological argument.

I'm writing a paper on Kants own proof of god and his refutation of the ontological and cosmological argument right now. If anyone wants me to sperg out on a bunch of metaphysical technicalities, I can hit you with a wall of text.

Philosophically, post-kant there honestly isn't one that's super convincing. There's people like Plantinga that made nice efforts on reviving the ontological argument but it's just too late.
>>
>>9402291
What are your opinions on CS Lewis' Arguments from Reason?
>>
God's actions in the world, both miraculous and mundane. You can piece together a case for the existence of an intervening deity.
>>
>>9402296
I'm not overly familiar with it, but from looking at wikipedia, it has the same problem as a lot of arguments, it only proves some kind of supernatural, eternal force and just waves off the determination of that being as god in the last step.
>>
>>9402331
To add, it also seems quite similiar to Wolffs argument in that it argues from contingency of the human soul/human reason and the impossibility of an eternal chain of reasons.
>>
>>9402331
>it only proves some kind of supernatural, eternal force and just waves off the determination of that being as god in the last step

What else would it be, dumbfuck.
>>
>>9402367
Have some imagination, some kind of prime mover, some kind of cosmic force, or any of the hundreds of gods that aren't the christian god.

Even Kant made my point and he was a stern christian in an age before widespread atheism and esotheric hippie bullshit became a thing.
>>
Honestly, there's none.

t.christian
>>
>>9402260
Euthyphro
>>
>>9402432
>in an age before widespread atheism and esotheric hippie bullshit became a thing
Actually, Age of Enlightenment started that trend, although it was way less obnoxious than it is now, because of the lack of internet and non-existence of internet memes which today's neoatheists use as arguments.
>>
>>9402432
>some kind of prime mover, some kind of cosmic force, or any of the hundreds of gods that aren't the christian god

Same thing.
>>
>>9402260
I don't care if god exists or not. But operating under the assumption that there is a higher power, and it is beyond my own comprehension. Why does it matter?
Thats the part of religion I don't understand.
>>
Is /lit/ being raided by /pol/ or /his/ or something? Why are there this many kike-christ threads up?
>>
everything is so huge, somebody must be responsible for this shit
>>
>>9402500
>Why does it matter?
Because it's the most fundamental part of existence. What created us, if anything? Why are we here? The problem of God also touches upon determinism, ethics etc. it is THE most important thing for anyone who exists, whether they think so or not, and I can't comprehend how people like you can talk like this. Maybe some people look cool to themselves if they take this one thing a lot of people are obsessed about (and rightly so) and say "meh, who cares?". Ignosticism is the worst.
>>
>>9402526
>Maybe some people look cool to themselves if they take this one thing a lot of people are obsessed about (and rightly so) and say "meh, who cares?". Ignosticism is the worst.
Being so fucking pretentious is worse.
>>
File: images(24).jpg (15KB, 443x332px) Image search: [Google]
images(24).jpg
15KB, 443x332px
The Falcons blew a 25 point lead. PROOF that god exists.
>>
>>9402525
>somebody
If anything it would make more sense for it to be a "thing" than a "somebody". The universe is larger than anyone can comprehend, so to impose the idea of some old faggot in the clouds who is REALLY behind everything is like a child coming up with their own ludicrous idea about why something is like it is. Like a TV being inhabited by small miniature people or whatever. "God" or gods or whatever, the idea of reincarnation, is all inherently wrong because it's thought up by humans, and we don't even fucking understand a percentage of what life really is, we don't know what death is, we don't know what's out there beyond Earth. But no no, there most definitely is a superhuman in the sky who talked to us and told someone to write a fucking book about how ants should live their lives. Give me a fucking break, how people like this are supposed to be treated with respect or given any kind of important role in society(see: politicians) is insanity. And that isn't to say that Atheists aren't ridiculous either, at best the one thing anyone can say with any shred of certainty is simply "I don't fucking know", and that really is where the discussion ends.
>>
>>9402526
>implying Im rejecting religion just because other people seem to like it.
At this stage in my life, Im content with not knowing. I admit that I am easily amused with really basic pleasures, truthfully I don't find them unfulfilling. I would have considered myself an athiest in the past but I have been lucky enough to work at a religious bookstore and to see people who operate with spirituality as part of their daily lives. It was really eye opening to consider the beauties of spirituality but I really don't see the appeal. I can see the appeal of thinking that we have a real connection with the spiritual in daily life but I only see chaotic conicidences. Personally I think the idea that we are truly alone in a chaotic and uncaring universe to be far more comforting than anything vaguely spiritual. At least then I am allowed some illusion of freedom and to me that is everything.
>>
>>9402526
>ethics
Ah yes, the classic, "you can't be ethical unless you're religious" meme. Wonderful post, you absolute retard.
>>
File: Kierkegaard.jpg (49KB, 310x459px) Image search: [Google]
Kierkegaard.jpg
49KB, 310x459px
>he thinks you need a logical argument for God
Psh... Kid...
>>
>>9402260
"The idea makes me feel good so I choose to keep repeating to myself that he exists"
>>
>>9402563
nah. the person with the biggest mind power creates the universe and we have to live in it through some weird mechanism. all the old wonders and prophecies are real because that was the mental stage of the mind which imagined it.
>>
>>9402595
Epic.
>>
File: 1492436889917.gif (421KB, 359x371px) Image search: [Google]
1492436889917.gif
421KB, 359x371px
>>9402563
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. The God you are refuting is the God of five years olds. No theologian or philosopher ever interpretated God as an old man in the clouds. Back to /reddit/
>>
>>9402563
you could have simplified this pasta to
>Epistemology LMAO
>>
File: 217168.png (376KB, 419x430px) Image search: [Google]
217168.png
376KB, 419x430px
I believe in god, because I believe in myself
>>
>>9402470
Not if you are trying to prove the specific christian god with all his usual predicates and just some some vague supreme subject.
>>
>>9402752
*not just, god damnit
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.