[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern Leisure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: 20150321_blp511.jpg (32KB, 595x335px) Image search: [Google]
20150321_blp511.jpg
32KB, 595x335px
I'm currently traveling around Asia for a vacation, and am, as always, in awe at the frenzied crowds that have to take a picture of everything they find on Tripadvisor, and of the various different types of Real Travelers who live in _apparent_ opposition to that, but are obvious in some relation to those same forces.

Are there any books that talk about modern leisure? I read recently The Technological Society by Ellul who mentioned briefly modern leisure being a system of increasing efficiency to offset the need for the individual to become increasingly subjugated by technique, which I plan to re-read. The landmark work in the area seems to be Theory of the Leisure class, which I'm slowly slogging through. Also copped Leisure: The Basis of Culture, and am naturally re-reading Society of the Spectacle as well.

Cheers
>>
File: davidfosterwallace.jpg (12KB, 250x361px) Image search: [Google]
davidfosterwallace.jpg
12KB, 250x361px
>>9401006
dfw's essay on cruising "a supposedly fun thing ill never do again" touches on this quite a bit.
>>
>>9401014
Ah yes, I will have to reread that one! What were his aesthetic reservations against the cruise life, anyway? I myself always found them to be a bit strange, though to be honest, I've never been on one.
>>
>>9401014
This

Also:

Marxist
Dialectic of Englightenment - A&H
Art in the age of Mechanical Reproduction - W. Benjamin
Ways of Seeing - John Berger

Conservative
Modern Culture - Roger Scruton
The Sacred Wood - T.S. Eliot
>>
>>9401075
p.s. Also, DFW's essay E Unibus Plurum.
>>
>>9401075
cheers anon, will add those to my list
>>
>>9401060
not sure about "aesthetic reservations" but he seemed concerned that cruises turned people into grouchy entitled jerks for whom even extreme luxury was not enough.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.