[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Free Will?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 4.jpg (36KB, 1200x771px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
36KB, 1200x771px
. There is a lot of great writing in support of its existence ( James Allen, Sam Harris etc.) and writings against it such as James B. Miles( I highly recommend his book). What does /lit/ think bout free will or lack there of.
>>
>>9399663
A universe of laws cannot allow for exceptions. Why is there such a hubba? Is it because humans think that they are so special?
>>
>>9399663
is this bait?

harris doesn't think free will exists

I think the empirical arguments against free will are goofy and silly

The rationalist argument makes alot of sense

And specifically Sam Harris' existential argument against free will is very convincing

However, I think it would be very very strange if free will wasn't real
>>
>>9399695
not bait that was my bad I got the names mixed around I meant to include him with Miles. Thanks for pointing out
>>
>>9399663
can you point me to james allen's argument for free will?
>>
I think one's stance on free will depends on one's beliefs about reality in general. I think the universe is governed by the laws of physics, and thus no idea of free will which involves being free from the laws of physics is acceptable to me. If I were pressed, I'd say that free will is a persistent, inescapable illusion.
>>
>>9399897
How did your laws of physics create such illusion?

Furthermore, you can be skeptical of the validity of your experience but you can never authentically doubt your experience similarly to how you cannot doubt your dream is reality until you wake up. Until the illusion ceases, you will perform as if you believe the "illusion" to be real.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.