[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which makes the villain spoopier?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 1475019566003.png (472KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
1475019566003.png
472KB, 1000x750px
What's scarier? A villain who is evil because of their mental disorders, or a villain who is pretty much totally sane and is evil for reasons unknown (alternatively their reason could be something like "wanting to leave a legacy, be it positive or negative," or even shits-and-giggles)?
>>
>story has a villain

the good/bad dichotomy does not belong in literature. go back to your comics and cartoons board, brainlet
>>
>>9399131
>contrasting characters don't belong in REAL literature!
>classic epics? What are those?
Not everything in the world is a paper on theoretical physics, pal. And if you're gonna call me a "brainlet," then at least properly capitalize and punctuate your sentences.
>>
>>9399321
>he believes the ability to use punctuation makes him smart
>>
>>9399102
both of these are terrible motivations for villains.
4chan is 18+, btw
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>9399321
>at least properly capitalize and punctuate your sentences.
>"brainlet,"
>,"
>>
>>9399102
False ideals, wrong sacrifice for them, possession by them; calculators of doom and gateways to the bizarre.
It's about the presentation.

Dread; It shouldn't be. Fear of the soul, the unknown and the impossible.
Phobia/panic; it. It? IT!? Fear of the body, loss of control over yourself.
Fear; This means that..! Fear of the mind, the unavoidable.
>>
>>9399367
>the unavoidable.
Or the challenge. *
>>
Literary advice. Contrast the ultimate evil with lesser evil. You may not even need to bring up the ultimate for this.
>>
>>9399102
The scariest villain is the one that reminds you of your own desires.

If you can make a reader feel empathy for a cruel and sick person, they will be scared.
>>
>>9399335
I feel that the idea that a good villain is one who does the wrong thing for the right reason is a bit overdone. I feel that there's still a place for the Buffalo Bills and the assholes who are bad because they find it funny to blow shit up. We have all these characters who can be summed up as "I wanted to make the world a better place, so I killed people," when the fact is that we've seen so many scary villains throughout literary history who were crazy or assholes or whatever, that it makes it hard to justify forgetting everything other than the eco-terrorist trope.
>>9399366
The comma goes inside the parentheses. I dunno why, but it does.
>>9399381
Ah, I see. That really does seem scary. A villain who makes us briefly think "man, this guy is right," before slapping ourselves in the face for sympathizing with him really does seem scary. Maybe one of the worst fears is fear of ourselves; fear of there being something wrong with us.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.