[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Corm'c McCarthy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0292.jpg (31KB, 243x240px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0292.jpg
31KB, 243x240px
Is there some predominating theme we can trace across his body of work. Obviously there are Christian/gnostic tones in a lot of them, but I feel that this is not so important in Sutree or (more controversially) Blood Meridian. Counter to that there are fairly explicit references to Nietzsche peppered throughout his work, Dionysian consumption, truth and lies, etc. What do you think he's trying to say?
>>
>>9398936

Man out running destruction or man causing destruction? I've only read two of his novels but I'm currently reading Blood Meridian and that's the impression I get from one of the themes.
>>
>>9398943
>outrunning
Perhaps, but I think this is shown to be futile on BM, its focus on the landscape suggesting an immense cosmic/geologic scale which overwhelms man and consumes him
>>
File: 1480006151944.jpg (10KB, 350x490px) Image search: [Google]
1480006151944.jpg
10KB, 350x490px
>>9398936
>Christian themes
>In McCarthy
>>
>>9399775
>implying you know anything about Gnosticism
>>
>>9399902
>Do you believe in the Christian God
>No
>Do you believe that Jesus was divine
>No, but trust me I'm Christian
>You
I strongly object to all Gnostics being categorised as Christian since many of them deny the very fundamental tenets that you have to believe in order to be a Christian.
If you had merely said Gnostic themes I would have been okay with that but saying Christian/Gnostic is like saying Jewish/Christian in regards to something like docetic belifes regarding Jesus just because there is some overlap. It doesn't make any sense since de facto non-Christians are not going to be docetic.
>>
>>9399978

The tenets of Christianity are as monstrous/alien to our felt experience as the tenets of Scientism.

Belief is the suspension of Mind. If belief is the ticket to Heaven then God is icier than any black hole or other such entities in Scientist Scripture. If the most important aspect of Jesus is Historic personhood and the most important aspect of Divinity is our separation from it, then I think we're dealing with a doubly-damned Creator and a doubly-damned Creation.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.