[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you go about revising your writing? I've just realised

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1443365017671.jpg (80KB, 500x669px) Image search: [Google]
1443365017671.jpg
80KB, 500x669px
How do you go about revising your writing?

I've just realised I need to go back and re-write a couple of thousand words in order to make accomodate a character's development trajectory.

Would I be best to delet those 2,000 words and re-write them entirely, or should I go through and change small bits?
>>
>>9396791
Easy. Do what you want while keeping a backup of whatever you have now in a separate file.
>>
>>9396791
Fucking kek @ OP pic.
>>
>>9396791
It's easy to 'feel' when you don't like a passage and want it to be better, if you think you must then do it, but I advise you get an outsider opinion first. Revise the elements of style, then rewrite later.
>>
If you want to get published, or even write something of more quality, you're gonna need multiple rewrites of the whole thing either way. Get used to it.
>>
>>9397112
>you're gonna need multiple rewrites of the whole thing

Really? Why?
>>
>>9397133
Spend some time away from your work and come back to it and the answer will be obvious. It's impossible to think about everything, and judge it correctly, and be completely honest to yourself and so on. Some things like pacing, structure will only be completely clear at the end.

However, the main reason why that is a thing is that there is a lot of unnecessary stuff in early drafts, the word count probably needs to go way down. Those 2000 words probably can go down to 1000 and carry the same meaning.
>>
>>9397160
I'm not op but that's solid advice. Thank you.
>>
>>9397160
Thank you. I'm relatively new to writing (though /critique/ seems to like it so I'm encouraged to continue) - but I feel like I dwell too much on the existing writing and forestall myself before I've written anything like a substantial wordcount down.

Would you say the best course of action is to sort of "spew" out the novel in the first draft and then gradually refine on repeated edits?
>>
>>9397172
>"spew" out the novel

As with most things there is some golden mean. I would go faster but not too fast. You need to keep some degree of quality that you are satisfied with, if you just "spew" the stuff out it might be so bad that editing it would take a lot of time. Not only that, when you finished editing it you might find out that it's still garbage and delete it.
I think the best course of action is to not shy away from actual mental work when you write the first draft. A lot of editing is not that challenging, it doesn't take a lot of brain power but it does take a lot of time. So there are things you can rush, but with difficult tasks take your time because no edit is going to magically fix them. Those more difficult tasks are the ones you learn from the most.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.