[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HOW DO I WRITE POETRY THAT ISN'T AMATEUR GARBAGE?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 4b6.jpg (13KB, 600x515px) Image search: [Google]
4b6.jpg
13KB, 600x515px
HOW DO I WRITE POETRY THAT ISN'T AMATEUR GARBAGE?
>>
>>9396749
Read more poetry and poetry criticism. Even stuff that you don't like or respect
>>
>>9396749
Write a lot of amateur garbage. You can't just jump into the prose.
>>
>>9396749
Read poetry. Study poetry. Practice poetry.

I find having a theme in mind to start helps. Then have a rhythm or tube in mind and start thinking of lines that follow it. Like... um...
>'Small and petite is just as neat and you're all sorts of fine'
Without trying to get the rhythm, it falls on itself. That's because of the syllabic structure of the word choice. The stressed and unstressed syllables pull the flow of the line
>small and peTITE is just as NEAT and YOUR all SORTS of FINE

Once you've got a start, you can start to find more critical direction with content and play with your meter to effect the mood of the poem. It all takes practice, and there are plenty of good places to easily find and look for advice. You'll start to become aware of your improvement. But only if your honest with yourself. Not lenient or too harsh. But honest.
>>
>>9396749
Stop fucking rhyming. Have something to say. Learn metre.
>>
Poetry is fucking garbage.
Poetry criticism is fuckin garbage.
Prose is fugin where it is at.
>>
>>9396780
>the prose
?????
>>
>>9398848
>Stop fucking rhyming
>Learn metre
Aren't those contradictory?
I agree with your first two advices, though. Rhyming is dead and only the finest necromancers can bring it to life and make it worth.
>>
File: moor_painting2.jpg (74KB, 479x647px) Image search: [Google]
moor_painting2.jpg
74KB, 479x647px
>>9399266
>Rhyming is dead and only the finest necromancers can bring it to life and make it worth.
I feel something in the lines of if a poem sucks its because it rhymns.
This is bullshit in so many ways. The majority of the poetry I've read in my life is free verse, result: I can't remember any
of my favourite poems to save my life while I easily remember the top hit of the week. I'm not quite certain about the historical reasons that lead to the "death" of rhymn and to me it preliminarly seems the equivalent in poetry to atonalism. But I still have to dig them both. As its cousin, some say free verse is the result of a supposed axhaustion of the form. Again, I still don't know. What I do know is there's kids right know seeing rappers as the pinnacle of poetry. Worse there are rappers who dare to call themselves poets, even without minimal knowledge of the medium. Wouldn't it be nice if we took rhymn back to its worthy owners, reciting her like the old bards and teaching its rhythm btfo those fellas, showing them real flow?
MAKE POETRY GREAT AGAIN
>>
>>9396780
>prose
>poetry
>>
>>9399266

difference between the same phoneme versus having a tempo

I don't know how anyone can stand rhyming anymore, it's an eternal poetry meme that is only impressive when you aren't expecting it
>>
Start getting paid for it. Then it's professional garbage, by definition.
>>
>>9396749
Poetry requires finesse and precision. It makes so many people frustrated because they want to sound like Robert Frost but end up sounding like their 8th grade self. Don't give up anon.
>>
>>9396749
Dude, it's so easy. A page is not a wall in your room. A page is to be passed to someone you want to fuck. Or a page is passed to someone you want to convince for some reason that you should be seen in some way so that eventually the person you want to fuck will know that you've been validated as artistic and thus deemed extra fuckable. You're inner biology wants you to be good enough at poetry to get laid. So read what is good to people that you want to fuck, read what is good to people who can deem you artistic, then read what is actually good so that you know; then practice objective observations of everyday things, people, thoughts, and also try to write as though your dick was only an inch from some perfect lips. Look at criticism and study philosophy if you want, but most importantly, do it as a slave to your biological needs to impregnate a nation like Genghis Kong. Or for the love of Christ, if that's your thing.

Girls get wet on wit, and men bow to observation. That's why poets truly needed to be dispelled from the republic.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.