[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Grammar question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

Which ones are correct?

>He said it, they said it, and everyone else said it

This is controversial cause the first comma separates 2 independent clauses without a coordinating conjunction

>He said it; they said it; and everyone else said it

This is controversial because there's a coordinating conjunction after the semicolon while a comma is expected

>He said it; they said it, and everyone else said it

This may be grammatically uncontroversial, but semantically it feels like the last 2 clauses are paired up, while the first one is on the side alone

>He said it. They said it. And everyone else said it

This is just getting try-hard.

Note that I don't want to get rid of the "and." I want to use the words as they are, but I'm unsure about the punctuation.

Please help
>>
>>9396187
Cue debate about Oxford commas
>>
Semicolon is just a more accentuated comma, if one of these said-its requires greater emphasis (for example, if 'he' is some authority figure who sets the tone, which would make the third option the best), use it. The second sentence is prescriptively ungrammatical, especially if you're one of these autists who screech about oxford comma.
>>
File: 1408849633576.jpg (76KB, 500x653px) Image search: [Google]
1408849633576.jpg
76KB, 500x653px
>>9396193
The first three are correct, the fourth is not. I would recommend against the second for style reasons, if you are unwilling to drop the "and".
>>
Guys

>Further, [someone] published [something] on the dangers of [something], claiming that in [year] there were more than [number] [things].

What's the rule that justifies the comma before "claiming"?
>>
>>9397216
OK I got it; you gotta put a comma before introducing a non-restrictive participial phrase at the end of a sentence
>>
>>9396187
>>This is controversial because there's a coordinating conjunction after the semicolon while a comma is expected
false, a semicolon is not a colon, so it is fine to put an and after it
>>
File: 2017-04-18-184259_740x561_scrot.png (45KB, 740x561px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-18-184259_740x561_scrot.png
45KB, 740x561px
>>9397412
I said it's controversial; and that's not false
>>
>>9397216
There is no rule.

Whether one puts a comma there or not depends on how parenthetical or relevant the participle clause is to the main verb's meaning.

Since, in your example, the participle's meaning that 'some things have increased in number' is quite relevant to the main clause's meaning of 'someone publishing something about the dangers of them'. I would therefore suggest that a comma is not needed, since the participle clause is essential to the main verb.

But, again, it's down to personal taste.

>>9397318
Not necessarily. The participle clause could be put at the beginning of the sentence, or anywhere else where it made sense.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.