[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do you stand on the Homeric question?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: afslufh34.jpg (203KB, 635x800px) Image search: [Google]
afslufh34.jpg
203KB, 635x800px
Was a genius individual primarily responsible for the Iliad? Was the Odyssey created by the same individual?
>>
The epics' themes and characters were part of the local culture and mythology, Homer's genius was being able to present them in a beautiful way, also being lucky enough to exist at the same time as writing was being revived helped consolidate his status.

I'm also unsure why most people doubt someone being able to crate like 1k pages worth of godlike content, Plato wrote way more than that and you don't see anyone denying his existence.
>>
the yahwist wrote the iliad and odysee
>>
>>9395295
>Plato wrote way more than that and you don't see anyone denying his existence.

yeah but plato's shit is all retarded and annoying
>>
>>9395295
Never existed.
Writing was not invented up to the 1900s.
They've wrote all this fiction and now pretend that people made it before the 1900s, but there was no one to do it.
They did this to inspire people and mankind as a whole to record our thoughts on paper so they can keep track of us.
The idea of "imagination" was invented for this purpose.
Homer is one of the many fictional characters They created such as Shakespeare, Dante, etc.
>>
>>9395449
learn how to use 4chan, you mongoloid
>>
>>9395475
no u, bitch
>>
File: 薫梢01 by ヨルノトノ.jpg (120KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
薫梢01 by ヨルノトノ.jpg
120KB, 600x600px
>>9395295
I do believe that the poems of Homer are divinely inspired, literally true, and wholly infallible.
I don't have much to say on the topic except that the idea of a genius individual or succession of individuals, while not necessarily incorrect, should not be construed to deny the causation of:
1) the factual matters which the poems recount;
2) the inspiration of the Daughter of Zeus, who in holy union with the poets composed every word;
&
3) the sacred idiom which the poets received from Aryan antiquity.
>>
>>9395584
>the inspiration of the Daughter of Zeus, who in holy union with the poets composed every word;
Hot
>the sacred idiom which the poets received from Aryan antiquity
Do you think it possible that Homer traveled to the Himalaya in his youth in order to receive teaching from the Aryan masters themselves in the secret city?
>>
>>9395584
hey dude, long time no see

ftr i endorse everything in this post
>>
>>9395593
>Hot
Ver.
>Do you think it possible that Homer traveled to the Himalaya in his youth in order to receive teaching from the Aryan masters themselves in the secret city?
No.
>>9395598
I was here yesterday.
>>
I think there is fairly strong evidence that while the Homeric epics were certainly part of an oral tradition, Homer was a single author who happened to be alive when writing was just being reintroduced into Greece. The characterization of the leading characters and the atmosphere, for example, are essentially consistent between the two poems, suggesting that they were at least composed and written at about the same time by probably a single author. Since epic poems were partly improvised, rather than remembered word for word (and therefore would vary between poets), the consistency between the two suggests more that they were composed by one person rather than many.
>>
File: IMG_4664.jpg (77KB, 550x425px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4664.jpg
77KB, 550x425px
>>9395640
Oh, watakushi wa sn't
>>
>>9395295
I see no reason to argue the authorship in the first place. It is meaningless wank
>>
>>9395718
desu this
If every figure in antiquity felt comfortable attributing them to Homer, then so do I.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.