[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>New Sincerity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: jordan_peterson.jpg (41KB, 610x526px) Image search: [Google]
jordan_peterson.jpg
41KB, 610x526px
>New Sincerity
>>
>>9394348
I find this whole new sincerity a total non-issue. The average person still contains the same sentiments since before postmodernity.

It is bourgeois semantics.
>>
>>9394366
Meh, a lot of people i know were beginning to get rather detached and nihilistic in the 2000s, and I see it turning around for some of my friends lately. Also has turned around tremendously in popular culture

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2doZROwdte4
>>
>>9394384
That video was pathetic. Complete misinterpretation of Wallace and embarrassing for the creator.

>hurr sincerity goooood, irony baaaaaad
>>
Hallmark cards.
>>
File: Well Well.png (403KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Well Well.png
403KB, 720x540px
>>9394536
that wasn't even his argument you stupid fucking invalid
>>
>>9394608
Yes it was.
>>
I forget, is this the same thing as Hysterical Realism (hysterical being like hysteria not comedic, I've always assumed?) as coined by James Wood in his nasty little White Teeth review?
>>
>>9394622
oh
>>
hate how Zadie and DFW (his own fault) and even Franzen get lumped together with Eggers and Foer and the other pathetic imitators

people now just peddle in pretending to be sincere to hide their cravenness/dishonesty/same old misogyny- it's an old racket with a new name
>>
>>9394366
>The average person still contains the same sentiments since before postmodernity.

What you think the average person in the West today contain the same sentiments as before around WW2?
>>
>>9394366
>I find this whole new sincerity a total non-issue. The average person still contains the same sentiments since before postmodernity.
I don't think this renders the movement as useless. Most literary and philosophical movements don't impact the general population's thought in any significant way.
>It is bourgeois semantics.
Again, what? How so? How has the break from postmodern irony and cynicism been co-opted by the ruling class? this argument seems really unfounded and silly.
>>
> Most literary and philosophical movements don't impact the general population's thought in any significant way.
and to clarify, I'm not saying philosophy as a whole has little impact on the thought of most people, just that *most* movements (especially contemporary ones) do not (the rise of structuralism and poststructuralism, for example, probably wouldn't have changed how people in general would think about things)
>>
>>9394608
kek
saved
>>
>>9394608
who is that on the mask? forgive my ignorance
>>
>>9395423
Sartre.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.