[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have to write an essay on three times advice was given but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1873.jpg (48KB, 260x391px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1873.jpg
48KB, 260x391px
I have to write an essay on three times advice was given but not taken in the Odyssey. Can someone give me these examples?
>>
>>9392835
Aeolus warns Odysseus not to open the bag of winds. His crew does it anyway, and the ship ends up getting blown away from Ithaca, which prevent them from returning home.

- Circe warns Odysseus not to eat the cattle of Helios, but his men get hungry to they eat them anyway. Everyone other than Odysseus drowns in a shipwreck as a result.

- The Suitors of are repeatedly warned to leave Penelope alone, but they don't relent. Eventually Odysseus murders them all and even rips the balls off one of them (no joke).
>>
There's actually a whole book with every single example of this which you can easily find at any bookstore, online retailer, or even for free online.
>>
>>9393123
Thanks so much anon.
>>
>>9392835
Read Herodotus, thucydides, and Plato instead.
>Reading Greek children's stories and counting it as serious /lit/
This is the problem with schooling today. 100% pseuds.
>>
>>9393317
You're not a man if you haven't read the Iliad.
>>
>>9393337
I've read it, it's just dreck compared to the other Greek writers and thinkers. In my mind the worst offering of the Greeks. Only useful for understanding a few examples those other authors will occasionally use. But that's also what annotations are for.
>>
>>9393317
So when those guys all referenced Homer, was it like millenials referencing Harry Potter today? And if so, should we all read Harry Potter so as to be more like Plato?
>>
>>9393355
Yes, I wouldn't say Harry Potter has reached that level yet, but he was definitely using pop culture to explain ideas for the benefit of the common man.
>>
>>9393369
So when do we get the Harry Potter fanfiction equivalent of Sophocles' Ajax?
>>
>>9393377
What, My Immortal wasn't good enough for you?
>>
>>9393377
I don't know. It's possible never. Remember Iliad and Odyssey were oral traditions for generations before even being written while Harry Potter has only been out for a single generation. It's popularity may indeed make it a valuable cultural reference to future writers. For the record I don't think Harry Potter is a great comparison because it isn't a) from an oral tradition or b) communicated in the most popular medium of it's day. I would say a series like Star Wars probably better fits and, indeed we see some elements of the philosophy of those movies being used to convey deeper ideas to the masses.
>>
>>9393317
Herodotus is criminally under-discussed on this board
>>
>>9393504
Sad considering he invented the idea of historical analysis. And, therefore concrete analysis/philosophy instead of abstract hypotheticals.
>>
How is that a fucking essay?
>>
>>9393564
Presumably he has to comment on it in some way, not just answer the question.
>>
>>9393611
That's still barely an essay.
>>
>>9393668
It depends on the depth of the commentary
>>
>>9393668
You're right about it not being one. I'm supposed to discuss the examples in the """"""essay"""""" but it's for sure gonna be surface level shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.