[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this really as good as some people make it out to be?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: zencover2.jpg (2MB, 1224x1584px) Image search: [Google]
zencover2.jpg
2MB, 1224x1584px
Is this really as good as some people make it out to be?
>>
>>9390868
no, read johnathan livingston seagull instead and save yourself some time.
>>
>>9390880
I have to read it for uni though, so i'm going to read it anyway.

I just need to know whether I should read it with an air of enjoyment or with that sad 4chan cynicalness that permeates everything I do.
>>
>>9390885
>I have to read it for uni though, so i'm going to read it anyway.
What do you study?
>>
>>9390896
international buisness but this is for an elective Philosophy East vs West
>>
File: George Costanza.jpg (31KB, 850x849px) Image search: [Google]
George Costanza.jpg
31KB, 850x849px
>>9390885
>"cynicalness"
>>
Yeah. It's arty grappling with subject/object in a manner that Sam Harris talks about in his Spirituality book. Pairs nicely with a search for meditation brought about from an absentee father figure. Basically The-Headless-Man, which is a type of meditative practice of...I think, zen Buddhists. I also just really like motorcycles, travelogues, and writings of the mentally ill. Thus 4chan.
>>
>>9390868
I read it when I was 18 or so and it blew my mind. I was also a retarded stoner though so it's probably not that good.
>>
>>9390981
you should read Asylum by William Seabrook.
>>
That I can dance to. Thanks.
>>
I read 100 pages on an airplane and he didn't say a god-damned thing in those 100 pages. Maybe it gets better, but then again maybe you should make your fucking point.
>>
>>9391139
Same

"here's a book about quality
I explicitly say that I can't define quality
but here's a story about my motorbike
motorbike
ramble ramble
nervous breakdown
ramble ramble
motorbike
my son is dead
i hope you get it *wink*'

Could be condensed into 10 pages, but then the hippies wouldn't be impressed
>>
>>9390868
Just read it so you can have your own opinion on it.

It made an impression on me and thought it was enjoyable to read. However, it is very "waffly" and scatter brained, but I suppose that makes sense because it's meant to be an introspective stream-of-consciousness type deal.
>>
worth reading buts its pretty laborious
>>
>>9390868
I put it down after 100 pages
Although the style of writing is somewhat enjoyable, it lacks a deeper meaning. Every form of social citizism presented is done in a shallow way and consists only of thoughts of Heidegger or Adorno boild down to be understandable for the dumbest idiot.
>>
>>9390868
It's one of my litmus test books: if you think it's great/profound then you have a mediocre intellect at best and will probably do quite well in the world of commerce.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.