[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Learning to write

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

Can someone recommend the best books for teaching me how to write? I don't mean sappy motivational stuff, but perhaps an extensive guide to rhetoric, narrative and literary devices. I read that grammar schools of old (like Shakespeare's time) used to have students leave at 15 with a better grasp of language and rhetoric than most modern day Classics/Literature university graduates, and I would like to be able to teach myself the sort of things they would have learned. Pic unrelated. Thanks.
>>
Bumping because also interested
>>
>>9388507

CLASSICAL

The Trivium by Sister Miram Joseph
Shakespeare's Use of the Arts of Language by Sister Miram Joseph
Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student by Edward P. J. Corbett
Classical English Rhetoric by Ward Farnsworth

MODERN

A Glossary of Literary Terms by M.H Abrams
Poems, Poets, Poetry by Helen Vendler
The Art of Shakespeare's Sonnets by Helen Vendler
Praising it New, The Best of the New Criticism selected by Garrick Davis
The Rhetoric of Fiction by Wayne C. Booth
Understanding Poetry and Understanding Fiction by Cleanth Brooks and Robert Penn Warden

Included some more modern stuff that you'll find enlightening.
>>
>>9388747

I would recommend the Oxford Guide to Writing by Thomas S. Kane. Discusses elements of good writing, goes into nuances, and provides famous examples that illustrate these qualities.
>>
>>9388747
>>9388751
Thank you very much
>>
>>9388770

Also the Trivium is a good book but I think it's more focused on grammar and logic.
>>
WHERE'S MY ARC?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.