[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of Walt Whitman? Leaves of Grass was an odd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Father of Free Verse.jpg (22KB, 330x409px) Image search: [Google]
Father of Free Verse.jpg
22KB, 330x409px
What do you think of Walt Whitman? Leaves of Grass was an odd book of poetry to me but I enjoyed his perspectives.
>>
>>9386901
I don't want to give up on it but sometimes I feel it's just too American for me, that I miss a lot of things he talks about.
>>
He's simply amazing, and still very much alive. A true poet before anything else you can say about him.
>>
>>9386909
I can definitely imagine. It's a piece of the present and that time has long passed. Where did you grow up, if you don't mind me asking?
>>
OP shamelessly replying.

Free verse, to me, is an ideal structure if used responsibly. It has all the space to roam of prose but doesn't require the same rudimentary supports. A true bridge between the literary styles i think. And of course Whitman is responsible for much of modern free verse.
>>
>>9386922
yemen till I was about 4 and then we moved to Oman
>>
>>9386938
hmm, yeah, I wouldn't force yourself through if it just doesn't come to you. Some perspectives are narrow by design and not everyone can pass through those alleys comfortably.
>>
>>9386922
I think I expressed myself poorly. I'm Dutch, so I don't really 'get' a lot of the themes he writes about. It's like the buildings of Frank Lloyd Wright. I can feel and understand the greatness and brilliance, but the vernacular part is kind of lost to me. And for some reason that happens to more often with American art than other party of the world.
>>
>>9386950
Well, pathos is a fickle binding agent, right? One can acknowledge something sticky even as it washes off them. I wouldn't dwell on it. I've been in your position before and it had bothered me then but the weight of it is lost to me now.
>>
File: Reader-is-sexy07.jpg (95KB, 1280x854px) Image search: [Google]
Reader-is-sexy07.jpg
95KB, 1280x854px
>>9386901
My favorite poet, hands down.

I have a tattered paperback copy that I've carried in my backpack for twenty years. Never get tired of reading a few poems while sitting in a waiting room or when I have a few free minutes at work.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.