[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Literature on Numbers Stations

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: wpid-pic20140505135220.jpg (70KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
wpid-pic20140505135220.jpg
70KB, 600x600px
Does anyone else find the concept and phenomenon behind the Conet Project and numbers stations really fascinating? I want to find out more about it, but am not sure where to start. Hell, I don't even know what the state of number stations are in 2017.

Can anyone help?
>>
Fuck off back to /x/
>>
>>9386462
I actually came from /mu/ and lurk here regularly but okay.
>>
>>9386466
Just leave faggot and take your paranormal bullshit with you
>>
>>9386471
It's more cold war espionage, but if you really insist...
>>
>>9386458
>I don't even know what the state of number stations are in 2017.
Several still exist and are in operation, but most have been taken off the air. With the end of the cold war and the rise of the internet as an alternative for communicating with agents in the field, they aren't as necessary as they once were
>>
>>9386466
/mu/. you have to be over 18 to post on /lit/, sorry but it's for your own good.
>>
>>9386517
this. The heyday of number stations were in the cold war, but they continued operation throughout the 90s (when most of the conet project was recorded) as shortwave was still widely used by gov'ts and civilians alike as an effective means of communication and information transmission. For many people the only round the clock Gulf War coverage was all done via short and longwave broadcasts that could be received around the world from the BBC World Service.

By the early-mid 2000s, satellite and terrestrial AM/FM radio was king however and the rise of Web 2.0 even further displaced analog radio transmissions in the private and public sector. Still, some number stations remain. There are a few in the western world still going and many more active in parts of Eastern Europe, the Middle East, and North Korea.
>>
>>9386558
I am. I don't see why the conet project and number stations are so controversial. I just think it's an interesting topic and am looking for more literature that either tells of how people came across these frequencies or actively documents them and their history (ie. like the booklet that came with the Conet Project bookset).

I'm not into any creepypasta nonsense.
>>
>DUDE ALIEN FREQUENCIES LMAO

Stupid faggot.
>>
>>9386567
Being on /mu/ is controversial and makes me doubt your character. It has nothing to do with the conet project.

Are you a Wilco fag? How'd you get into the Conet Project?
>>
>>9386575
Honestly, I don't really go on /mu/ much anymore because it's such a cesspool of shitty memes and almost zero discussion.

But, I discovered the Conet Project via Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. After reading the booklet and listening to the recordings, I was captivated by the idea of "number stations" and did some wikipedia digging and pulled up an NPR and CBS news story on the phenomemon from about 10 years ago. But I want more... Surely there are more published works out there on the topic.
>>
Amateur radio operator/long time SWLer here. There's not much out there, precisely due to the clandestine nature of the broadcasts. I think only the Czechs have confirmed that they ever operated them.

There are still around 8-10 operational stations. The primary ones are from Russia and the China-Taiwan-Korea region. Outside of that there's a Egyptian one, the famous Cuban numbers station, and a Morse code station allegedly located in France.

The main place you'd want to look for news on them would be the SWLing post blog:
http://swling.com/blog/category/numbers-stations/

I'd also suggest the HF Underground forum, they mainly focus on stuff like radio pirates and beacons but they've got sections on clandestine and spy stations.
https://www.hfunderground.com/board/
>>
>>9386643
thanks loads! Any info/good resources about SWL as that's always been a little quirky interest of mine as well. Or any stories about your own radio experiences?
>>
>>9386466
/mu/ is disgusting. It's worse than /pol/. Literally one of the most childish and ridiculously degenerate angles of the Internet. That's why you're getting insulted, and you deserve it. Any healthy person of this world would leave /mu/ after two or three hours of browsing.

Anyway, why do you find the concept behind number stations so fascinating?
>>
>>9387046
Something about the idea of clandestine cold war communication really gets me going.

And yeah, /mu/ is shit. I only pop in for some of the dedicated generals, lest I face dozens of spam threads about flavor of the month rapper #23.
>>
>>9386660
>resources

Wikipedia is good for the basics of how radio propagation works and so on. The ARRL publishes a bunch of various stuff and if you want some more in-depth information, I'd suggest looking for their study guides at a used bookstore.

I'd also suggest:
http://www.dxing.com/
http://www.amateur-radio-wiki.net/index.php?title=Main_Page
http://www.sigidwiki.com/wiki/Signal_Identification_Guide
http://websdr.org/
http://www.rtl-sdr.com/

>stories

Not much, I started listening to shortwave my parents got spooked by 9/11 and spent a lot of money on prepper stuff, including a shortwave radio. Gradually I lost interest because I was a teenager, but then in 2014 I got interested in radio again after seeing some DEFCON talks about software defined radios and I ended up getting licensed as a technician in the summer and then upgraded to general in the fall. Despite not having any HF equipment it's been pretty fun and I feel that I've learned a lot.

Notable signals I've caught have been:
HM01, the Cuban numbers station.
A couple US located shortwave pirates like Wolverine Radio.
A couple pirate HF beacons.
A fair amount of aviation HF, mainly airliners just talking to ATC but a couple times I heard them call forwards to have cops or a doctor ready when they land, or to contact their company about a maintenance issue.
Mexican taxi drivers on 10m/CB frequencies one year when there was a lot of sporadic-E.
>>
>>9390021
Very cool. I really appreciate that!
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.