[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Negative capability

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

Has anyone really grappled with Negative capability? I tend to feel a writer should abstain from being too opinionated and strive for experience as it is, instead of how they think it is. Besides Shakespeare, any other writers you feel captures the spirit of this notion? Any tips on how to develop a Negative capability in your own writing?
>>
>>9384422
>Negative capability
I'm a bit skeptical of this concept. Attempts to avoid ideology generally run into an acceptance of the status quo as a natural state.
>>
>>9384558
Is that how you see it? I always read Negative capability as the ability to accept people as they are without the urge or anxiety to challenge the opinions you disagree with. Which is why I think Keats thought it essential for a writer.
>>
>>9384629
I don't write fiction, I'm a journalist, and it reminds me of "journalistic objectivity", where you don't insert your own views on a certain topic. So instead, you seek out the opposite view, if you feel it is necessary.

That feeling of necessity is the tricky part. Lets say I'm writing about a KKK protest downtown. Of course I'm going to contact someone like the ACLU or Southern Poverty Law Center to get their rebuttal of the KKK's message.

But that doesn't always happen. A collegue wrote about Richard Dawkin's recent vist to our town, he got a banal quote from the local catholic diocese, and also from the event organizer/host (the Unitarian church), but he left it at that. I feel the bigger controversy surrounding Dawkins isn't the Religion vs Science debate, but rather Dawkins increasingly divisive rhetoric around Feminism and the Humanities.

The choice to include or not include certain view points is an ideological choice. In fiction, such as shakespeare, I suspect this would equate to what kinds of characters you include as foils to other characters. By not including an ideological enemy to contrast a certain view, you can let that position fly as natural or objective.
>>
>>9384422
The whole Witcher book series is pretty much about acceptance and doubting your own view.
>>
>>9384676
Hm. That's a good place to start. Thank you.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.