[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think the plot is contrived?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: gg.jpg (134KB, 300x449px) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
134KB, 300x449px
It's one of the greatest novels ever written, in my opinion. Absolutely astounding work. But I'm wondering if the plot actually makes sense, or if there are one too many coincidences and contrivances...

But perhaps contrived plots are characteristic of most of the greatest works of literature.
>>
I lived a Gatsby experience for a while, except I'm not rich and I didn't get shot
>>
gatsby and wolfsheim contrived that stuff themselves
>>
pos book
americans cant write for shit
diaf for glorifying this utter turd of retardation
>>
>>9382486
Could you name some of the contrivances?
>>
Plot is necessarily contrived.

If you're referring to certain characters appearing in certain places at certain times, keep in mind that it largely takes place within insular clubs and communities. It seems like people show up when and where they need to, but I think it sets out well in advance that everyone is where they belong and is stuck to some extent.
>>
>>9382486
>It's one of the greatest novels ever written
really?

Why? It is a nice story, but "greatest novels ever written" it is like too much.
I know that it is only your opinion, but a lot of people think it and I don't understand why.
>>
>>9383017

]1) Nick happens to move next door to Gatsby AND also happens to know Daisy from before (being her cousin)
2) Daisy happens to run over and kill Myrtle

>>9383444
True... when I try to write out what I meant (and read over some chapters of the book agin) I see that perhaps there really aren't as many contrivances as I thought there were.
>>
>>9383485
It makes my hair stand on end with a certain sublimity. Very few works of art do.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.