[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Staying original

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_2166.jpg (93KB, 629x938px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2166.jpg
93KB, 629x938px
What type of books do we need and not need more, /lit/?
I.e. We don't need more basic rewritings of another successful series, or literary virtue signaling, etc.
I don't want to write just to call myself an author. I want to make something good.
>>
What would be the worst cliches to make today, do you think?
>>
We need books where the protagonist's moral growth is evident. No more of these fucking drifting losers who end the book no different than they were at the beginning--or even wind up worse. Let's have books where protagonists change for the better again, with a touch of the old chivalric romances.
>>
>>9378720
Agreed on this
>>
>>9378720
Agreed, embrace neo-modernism. I'll probably get called out for this but while postmodernism is still relevant in Lyotard's sense, for example, it's run its course in art.
>>
>>9378720
meh, too young adulty, I think Hesse's Demian was good in this respect, the dude tries so hard to make progress, but gets blown the fuck up so in the end nothing really mattered, jk, the point is the reader can still learn from the protags experience without it being some horatio algery bildungsroman
>>
>>9378736
And a story where we follow the bad guy ?
>>
>>9378700
No virtue signaling
No culture signaling
No literary movement signaling
No "strong" female characters
More comfy books
More books that aren't university manufactured
More actually well written female characters
More genuine fun and feeling, instead of ironic fun and feeling
More Authors who aren't afraid to make an actual work from the heart how they want to, instead of something safe, or something that is labeled as being different and new but is actually extremely safe. I'm staring directly at you Saunders
>>
>>9378742
the bad guy seems kind of post-modern, which means someone probably already did it in the 60s, wasn't there some retelling of beowulf from grendel's point of view done a long time ago, i mean i guess it could work but it's gonna take more than that gimmick to be worth it in the year 2017
>>
>>9378761
Could still be tried, with a bad guy without pity
>>
>>9378763
already been done 2500 years ago, see: The Iliad
>>
>>9378736
I'm tired of nothing mattering, I want to go back to when things did matter.
>>
>>9378769
i was making a lincoln park joke sorry, it did matter but he still died
>>
>>9378766
Yes, but more in a heroic fantasy world
>>
>>9378772
i gotta go back and reread that, there were some parts that went hard af senpai
>>
>>9378775
>heroic fantasy world

oh fuck, have i been chatting with a pleb, dammit, fooled again
>>
>>9378780
What wrong with h f ?
>>
>>9378700
abandon irony, embrace sincerity with a touch of sentimentality
>>
Whenever I mention that I'm writing to someone, they assume I'm writing science fiction and sort of look at me condescendingly. I'm not, but it's too complicated to explain to every pleb, so I just let them.
>>
>>9378700
Books that focus on individualism. Sometimes herd mentality feels a bit strong in the US
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.