[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mysticism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: photo_2017-04-13_14-46-50.jpg (18KB, 432x312px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-04-13_14-46-50.jpg
18KB, 432x312px
What are /lit/ thoughts on 20th century mysticism ?

I ve tried to read them and separate the good stuff from the bullshit. It kind of changed my approach toward life.

>Khalil Gibran, Osho, Mikhail naima, gurjieff
>>
Just read from the source and ignore people trying to "translate" it for modern times.
>>
>>9375683
I think that more than traslate for modern times they Just cut out the traditional religious belief to it
>>
>>9375664
Mysticism is for children anons, accept Christ.
>>
>>9375692
Kek
>>
I could talk about my understanding of the meditation process. I am generally more inclined to investigate the mind and mental formations than the body sensations. After 30-40 minutes into the sitting, I am no longer aware of the body or breathing. I mainly focus my attention on the mind. I notice that everything starts and ends with the mind arising and passing away. For example, if we hear a sound from a thunder, the sound is created in our mind once the sound waves come into contact with the sense organ (ear). The sound is a mental formation. Same could be said of other sense contacts. With each sense contact, the mind arises as corresponding mental formation. Corresponding to each of these mental formations, the mind arises again as the knower or the observer. I.e sound waves come into contact with ear, sound as mental formation arises, then immediately "I" arises to know/observe the sound. Our mind is only capable of “knowing” one mental formation at a time because the corresponding knower also arises once at a time.
>>
>>9375706
The external (body sensations, sound, visual, smell etc.) and internal stimuli (memories/imaginations), and the corresponding mental formations are all arising in this space and time. When we are in deep sleep, there are no mental formations arising because all sense organs are suspended. They start again, when we wake up and start doing things. This is what Hindus call Karta (doer), karma (act or perform), and kriya (task) all three belonging to this world or samsara. As long as we do (karma) things, we are bound by the space and time. That is okay for daily survival and living.

Meditation allows us to transcend the space and time. The mind stops arising when we stop providing (it) fuel with craving and attachment. This is done by passively observing all mental formations. So, the idea is to develop concentration and establish mindfulness. Then by progressively switching to more subtler meditation objects, one progressively withdraws the sense contacts, then arrests the thoughts, and then finally the feelings. What remains is the stream of mindfulness that transforms into pure awareness. During this process, we directly see the roots of our attachment and cravings and cut them off (let go).
As long as we are “doing”, the mental formations and the knower keep arising. We will be bound to the samsara. In the surgeon example I provided earlier, the surgeon will never go into a Jhana because he is actively doing (performing surgery). Meditation therefore is not about doing. It is about being. This is the fundamental reason why I do not do body sweeps because it is doing and not being.
>>
>>9375706
>>9375708

What readings do you suggest?
>>
>>9375692
What about Christian mysticism?
>>
>>9375723
That's legit.
>>
>>9375716
I'm different anon, but what he's describing is basically traditional yoga. If you like that sort of thing I'd recommend The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali or Yoga Yajnavalkya.
>>
File: 1461351363278.png (298KB, 1626x3524px) Image search: [Google]
1461351363278.png
298KB, 1626x3524px
>>9375716
well today plebbit loves TMI
https://www.reddit.com/r/TheMindIlluminated/
>>
>>9375879
Pop-spirituality
>>
>>9375706
>>9375708

Evreything is created by our mind. But what created mind?
>>
File: chuck.jpg (28KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
chuck.jpg
28KB, 480x360px
>>9375664
>gurjieff
>>
>>9375892
Buzzword
>>
File: 1478315385120.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1478315385120.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>9375892
Ahh, the irony of spiritual materalism....desire to be desireless, crave to be craveless, all in the pursuit of magical power over others..........and all completely missing the point...
>>
I like osho
>>
>>9377230
Sadly, the people holding the rights to his legacy have turned his words into a theme park for the spiritually bankrupt.....
>>
binp
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.