[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That whole inside joke/ inside reference thing in literature

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1389888657101.jpg (43KB, 389x500px) Image search: [Google]
1389888657101.jpg
43KB, 389x500px
That whole inside joke/ inside reference thing in literature really pisses me off. I hate books like ulysses which have to make every single fucking sentence a reference to something which you won't know unless you're a literary scholar or someone whose obsessed with the canon.
>>
>>9374527
The word you're looking for is allusion
>>
>>9374530
Yes. Thank you for telling me that. I do appreciate when people point out things like that to me, I think it's better to know than to keep being ignorant.
>>
>>9374527
I think it's fine for the people who get the allusions, but the problem is lit nerds tend to mistake this for actual quality.
>>
>>9374527

I've been away for a while. Is this copypasta?
>>
>>9374527
If it adds to the actual story and theme that's cool but if it's just for the author to wave his dick then I don't really care for it
>>
>>9374530
Or intertext
>>
The greatest literature is built entirely of allusions. Outside of these, it's all Hop on Pop tier.
>>
they're like easter eggs in video games.

you can still get through the book without noticing all the lolrandumb references.
>>
There are only 50 or so great works you have to read to understand like 75% of those references

Read the bible and you knock out 25% right there
>>
>>9374530
>>9374673
or roman à clef
or allegory
>>
>>9374781
Not really, no.
>>
>>9374527
am I a dope for dropping the Brothers Karamazov over this? Everyone was referencing French culture and literature in the first chapters, even the father, whose whole exposition was about how what a pig he was.
>>
>>9374776
what is this list of great works?
>>
>>9374839
Yes, you are. That is one of the best books ever written, don't be a faggot and keep reading it.
>>
>>9374853
Second to that, this list even if partial would be of great help.
>>
>>9374905
>>9374853

Just google "how to start reading the western canon"
>>
>>9374853
Honestly, it's mainly just The Bible, Shakespear and the greeks. Specific authors may make allusions to other works, but the Bible and Shakespear alone will get you pretty far.
>>
Moby Dick and Blood Meridian are two of my favorite books but I have not read the Bible or paradise lost
>>
>>9374853
Are you looking for the Western literary canon, or the Western philosophical canon, or something else? Because these book lists are very different.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.