[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Tolkien writing a racist anthology?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: dragonhoardupload.jpg (55KB, 350x247px) Image search: [Google]
dragonhoardupload.jpg
55KB, 350x247px
"The dwarves of course are quite obviously - wouldn't you say that in many ways they remind you of the Jews? Their words are Semitic obviously, constructed to be Semitic."
― J.R.R. Tolkien
>>
>>9374175
Yes. Mordor represents the Muslim threat on the rest of the world.
>>
>Dwarves are Jews
That's a compliment

We have this thread alot /pol/friend
>>
>>9374207
This.

Reminder, dwarves are the only race in Middle-Earth that absolutely can't be made wicked by the Rings of Power. Their greed can be inflamed, but they'll always have a degree of goodness that none of the other races can maintain forever.
>>
>>9374215
Yeah, the real question mark is the orcs
>>
Tolkien would be a better writer if he was an anti-semite
>>
File: 84119.jpg (27KB, 318x475px) Image search: [Google]
84119.jpg
27KB, 318x475px
>>9374175
tfw this is more relevant today
>>
>>9374351
I really love The Chronicles of Narnia. Why can't we ever have Narnia discussions on here
>>
>>9374362
/lit/ thinks Lewis is a hack, especially as a novelist. Which is true to a certain extent - he didn't write amazing books. But Narnia is the undisputed king of comfy storytime, and if any woman is ever stupid enough to let me stick it in I'll probably end up reading the entire series to my kids. Also as far as allegory goes Lewis didn't do too shabby.
If you tried to start a narnia thread it would get >>>/r/eddit'd to death probably. Maybe it's worth a shot though.
>>
>>9374374
He wasn't the greatest, but I think that the work he did should be appreciated. Narnia is the perfect mix between comfy storytime and christian ideals/teaching.

I hate on most things YA/fantasy, but it's a shame that /lit/ overlooks and even condemns some of the genuinely good work like Narnia.
>>
>>9374384
It's unfair to tarnish Narnia with the YA label, even though it actually was written for young adults. I feel like it's too good to be YA. I feel the same about Brian Jacques' Redwall series and Ursula LeGuin's Earthsea books.
>>
>>9374392
YA has a negative connotation on this board. Mainly because most recent YA is horrible.

Lewis hit all the archetypes correctly, hence why it still has appeal.
>>
>Was Tolkien writing a racist anthology?

i wish
>>
>>9374251
Why? Why is it that when the orcs try to make their own ring, suddenly it's bad? All of the other races have a ring, right?

Tolkien is keeping the orc down. Men are the true agressors.
>>
>>9374215
That's not true at all. The rings don't turn them to saurons will but they still are made greedy and develop unhealthy hording behaviors. Even the Arkenstone makes Thorin irrationally greedy at the expense of his well being. There were also wicked Dwarves fighting in Morgoths armies in the first age.
>>
>>9374175
Tolkien liked jews, basing a fictional race on them wasn't racism.

>But if I am to understand that you are enquiring whether I am of Jewish origin, I can only reply that I regret that I appear to have no ancestors of that gifted people.
>>
>>9374175

The idea that certain races have essential characteristics is considered hateful and racist in the current year. In fact even acknowledging the existence of biological race makes you a racist. The moment you posted this thread you became a racist. Are you a white, cisgendered, male by any chance? We might have to send you to sensitivity training to unlearn some of these problematic ideas of yours.
>>
>>9375291
Race, as it is normally understood, is absolutely wrong tho. There are so many different groups that fits within the label "black", that there is higher variation within the blacks than between the average african and the average european. Most peoples understanding of race is not in any way grounded in biology, it is only "skin deep".
>>
>>9374434
Orcs are elves
>>
>>9375319
>There are so many different groups that fits within the label "black", that there is higher variation within the blacks than between the average african and the average european.
Sounds like that's only true in places where being slightly darker than tanned makes you black, though.
>>
>>9375319
>There are so many different groups that fits within the label "black", that there is higher variation within the blacks than between the average african and the average european.
That's only true if you look at individual genes rather than combinations which is a closer approximate of the perceived races.
>>
File: dr-strangelove.jpg (114KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dr-strangelove.jpg
114KB, 1600x1200px
Bunch of wannabe racists itt - sorry, lads: you got btfo by Tolkien almost a hundred years ago. Yer too late....go back to suckin' nigger-cock or somesuch, bois.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.