[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it worth learning about common archetypes, monomyth, hero's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1473215797411.jpg (75KB, 470x480px) Image search: [Google]
1473215797411.jpg
75KB, 470x480px
Is it worth learning about common archetypes, monomyth, hero's journey and the like before reading the Greeks, and if so, what are some good books on that topic?
>>
pls respond
>>
>>9372315
ok
>>
>african intellectuals
>>
>>9372176
>Is it worth learning about common archetypes, monomyth, hero's journey and the like before reading the Greeks
Its's good if you're really interested in understanding better """"the Greeks"""", otherwise i would say no.
>what are some good books on that topic?
Dunno, i'm italian so i studied this kind of stuff in high school.
>>
>>9372450
*understanding the Greeks better
>>
Studying them for the purpose of reading the Greek work is unnecessary, however archetypes are important to learn if you want to write good characters on your own. Understanding and thinking about the wide range of human personality and emotions is just as important as developing a good verbal skill for fiction writing.
>>
>>9372322
You're like the guy who takes the joke seriously then explains it wrong somehow, making it even cringier.
>>
>>9373350
Aren't the archetypes more heavily pronounced in Greek works though? I feel just going in and reading the Illiad blind is kinda dumb, even if I read some history beforehand. I feel like I'm going to miss what makes the book good, or at least, what makes it a "great work".
>>
>>9373371
Holy...
>>
>>9372176

I've heard that Joseph Campbell's work on the monomyth/archetypes is pretty good. That being said, I only have a surface level understanding of his stuff.
>>
is there such a thing as a "mommy" archetype
>>
Archetypes of the Collective Unconscious by Jung and The Hero with a Thousand Faces by Campbell
>>
>>9372176
Of course. It helps you write down something of the sort yourself. Star Wars relied on Asimov and the Hero's journey. It is a success, to say the least.
>>
>>9372176
no. jung sucks. campbell's monomyth is bullshit. nobody serious buys into that shit anymore and it would be a huge shame to let it color your reading of everything else. don't actively work yourself into being an idiot.

the modern popularity of this crap is purely because wannabe writers use it as a crutch. you can see it in this very thread, and i'm surprised it took so long for the obligatory star wars mention. "star wars is based on the hero's journey, you want to be as successful as star wars, don't you?" what they forget to mention is that the closets of the world are filled with horrible unpublished novels and unfilmed screenplays that all follow this silly flowchart just as well if not better than star wars. if this is a method for good and successful writing then the success rate of the method is like 0.001%.

(plus if you seriously believe this monomyth crap then everything is just the monomyth anyway and the only interesting conversation you could have about a piece of fiction is how it diverges from the monomyth, not how it conforms to it)
>>
>>9372176
Actually it is genre fiction tier.
>>
>>9373371
Criiiinge!! hehe :)
>>
>>9373371
You're like the guy that will ignore the part of the joke that's actually funny, because it doesn't align with your worldview.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.