[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

NYRB Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

Thoughts on this? Loved the "discontinuous first-person” but found the ending a little at odds with her character.

One of my fav NYRB so far. What are some others?
>>
File: 750407.jpg (53KB, 281x450px) Image search: [Google]
750407.jpg
53KB, 281x450px
>>9371247
Looks interesting, I'll check it out.

One of my favourite is The Book of Ebenezer Le Page, by G.B. Edwards.
It's a very long and thorough story of the life of one man on Guernsey, but is filled with charm and a sea of characters, while showing the development of the island in the twentieth century. I recommend it to everyone I know.

I also really enjoy
>Journey by Moonlight - Antal Szerb
>Skylark - Dezső Kosztolányi
>The Summer Book - Tove Jansson
>Hard Rain Falling - Don Carpenter
>The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
>The Door - Magda Szabó

But these are much more well known, on /lit/ and in general.
>>
File: 220px-Beware_of_pity_cover.png (167KB, 220x351px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Beware_of_pity_cover.png
167KB, 220x351px
Beware of Pity
>>
Has anyone else on this board read Zama? I haven't seen in mentioned before and I'm curious what other people thought.
>>
https://www.nyrb.com/collections/forthcoming

Waiting patiently for this and The Farm in the Green Mountains.

That said the actual Review has gone from 5/10 with those 5 being excellent to 1/10 after the election. Pure liberal ideology, Reductio ad Hitlerum, and hyperbole. At least prior to that they had well known authors reviewing classics once an issue.
>>
>>9371471
I finished it. I cant say it was great, but the last part was much better than the first two. The actual protagonist was interesting.

Here is an epub

https://filetea DOT me/n3wvvz29CxVQCSxBYIndKBdNQ
>>
File: 17262561.jpg (42KB, 300x475px) Image search: [Google]
17262561.jpg
42KB, 300x475px
the Russian Borges
>>
File: 7-Late_Fame-for_web_1024x1024.jpg (111KB, 420x672px) Image search: [Google]
7-Late_Fame-for_web_1024x1024.jpg
111KB, 420x672px
Really looking forward to this coming up
>>
>>9371270
>The Summer Book - Tove Jansson
really liked this one

>The Invention of Morel - Adolfo Bioy Casares
though tthis one was a bit overrated
>>
>>9372070
How does it compare to memories of the future? Really loving that so far.
>>
off the top of my head
>Memoirs of My Nervous Illness by Daniel Paul Schreiber (recommended especially for Deleuze people)
>The Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton
>>9372070 this one
>Jakob von Gunten by Robert Walser
>Witch Grass by Raymond Queneau
>Chess Story by Stefan Zweig
>>
>>9371247
The Tenants of Moonbloom
>>
>>9372076

I haven't read that one yet, but the stories in Corpse are tremendous
>>
>>9371270
OP here, dude Skylark is amazing! Wow nice to see the Hungarians get a mention. Really great book. I also liked Hard Rain Falling.

Check out Fat City by Leonard Gardner, even if you dont like boxing, Denis Johnson does the introduction. Tremendous.
>>
Z A M A
A
M
A
>>
>>9371332
This.

I can't recommend this book enough, wonderful
>>
>>9371247
kinda pisses me off that it takes being published by nyrb for you to fags to start noticing certain writers tee bee H
>>
>>9372977
How else is a NEET supposed to learn about a new author he hasn't heard of before?
>>
>>9373014
by spending all his time on 4chan obviously
>>
has anyone read this
>>
The Anatomy of Melancholy by Robert Burton
+
On Being Blue: A Philosophical Inquiry by William Gass

I haven't read much of The Anatomy of Melancholy; I enjoy reading a few paragraphs aloud now and then, and sometimes will delve into it a bit deeper, but it's a work I consistently read aloud and so read relatively slowly.
On Being Blue is fantastic and I don't even love Gass' fiction. It is far more sexual than I anticipated. Gass talks a lot about communicating sexuality through language and how, in English, it seems to fail, to bumble along the page like the awkward man bumbles along a speech meant to be erotic. That's what Gass says, anyway. Agree with him or not, his prose is great; I read a lot of this aloud as well. I've finished this one.

Anyway, I got both of these recently and would recommend them.
>>
>>9371332
fuck yeah
>>
File: kaputt.jpg (146KB, 650x1040px) Image search: [Google]
kaputt.jpg
146KB, 650x1040px
Kaputt and The Skin
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.