[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Robert A. Heinlein

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: Heinlein-face.jpg (17KB, 243x333px) Image search: [Google]
Heinlein-face.jpg
17KB, 243x333px
Heinlein worth reading? I really want to get into individualist authors?...
>>
He's really fun to read, just don't expect anything groundbreaking.
>>
I liked stranger in a strange land
>>
>>9368309
My favorite Heinlein novel is The moon is a harsh mistress
>>
>>9368566
>Not "All You Zombies"
Get the fuck off my board
>>
>>9368566
this was a pretty good read, right up to the point where De la Paz said he could get along with a Randian.

any followers of Rand would have been ejected from the nearest airlock in the first week.
>>
>>9368309

Just don't read Starship Troopers. It's really bad. His worst novel is his most popular. Doesn't represent his better stuff at all.
>>
File: John.jpg (10KB, 275x400px) Image search: [Google]
John.jpg
10KB, 275x400px
>>
>>9368309
His earlier stories, the so-called juveniles, are surprisingly good. All Heinlein's rugged individualism and self-sufficiency are there, wrapped up in coming-of-age tales about family, ambition, friendship. They are funny and charming.

In his mid/late period he is more chameleon-like and ponderous, not as much fun.
>>
I haven't actually read much Heinlein, but All You Zombies and By His Bootstraps are both pretty short and very good. Their "twists" are a somewhat less mind-blowing these days but they're still pretty much the best its been done. Both are easy to find online also.
>>
>>9368309
My favorites:
>Stranger In A Strange Land
A boy grew up under martians without human socialization and then returns to earth with a unique perspective.

>The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress
The people on the moon declare their independence and create a libertarian republic. They use their tactical advantages to force Earth to accept them.

>Starship Trooper
Humanity is united in a fascist military state (but its not necessarily bad). The main character becomes a space marine and fights to expand the human empire.

>All You Zombies
Fun time travel short. I think they made a movie about this one too.
>>
>>9373744
>All You Zombies movie
Its called Predestination. All the stuff that's in the original story was pretty well done imo, but obviously they had to add some padding to stretch it to feature length and all that stuff was pretty bad.
>>
"The Number of the Beast" had a pretty good premise, only slightly spoiled by the four main characters being identical ideological clones of Heinlein and yet endlessly arguing over who was going to be captain that week.
>>
>>9373744
>movies about starship trooper and all you zombies

Stranger is going to get a Syfy TV show soon.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.