[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: brain.jpg (44KB, 582x388px) Image search: [Google]
brain.jpg
44KB, 582x388px
Dear /lit/
I currently want to start reading again, but i have not read a book since I was 14(I am 21 now).
I was wondering what benefits you experienced from reading.
Also, what are there any must reads in your opinion?(fiction or non fiction)? So far I've only read books like Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Narnia and Darren Shan when I was younger.
>>
>>9364745
Just remember that your superior to women who can't understand literature at all. at least your brain is wired to process complex thoughts like me
>>
The greeks and my diary
>>
>>9364745
Being a massive faggot. I hear that's the best one.
>>
>>9364751
What about his superior?
>>
>>9364745
>benefits
Hopefully it'll teach you that there is more to life than being a utilitarian butthole.
>>
>>9364745
It soothes my brain, makes me feel more peaceful.
It focuses my brain, makes me more alert.
>>
Read some philosophy.
It'll change your life,
>>
>>9364745
>what benefits you experienced from reading.
There are no consistent and quantifiable benefits from reading. Any skills you develop (language skills, pattern recognition, deductive reasoning, etc.) have more to do with the amount of effort you put into the book than the book itself, making the content of the text that you are reading unimportant.

If you want to question your personal ideology then read philosophy. Only read fiction if you enjoy it.

As for must reads there are thousands, literature is a grand dialog of call and response across time. Pick something with a cool cover and work from there. (Or just start with The Recognitions)
>>
>>9364778
what's wrong with being a utilitarian butthole
>>
File: toot.png (44KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
toot.png
44KB, 657x527px
>>9364751
you're***
>>
>>9364751
>>9365385
This has to be bait
>>
How do I enjoy a novel for more than its plot?
>>
>>9365348
You're only used for pooping
>>
>>9365484
Enjoy the words and ideas
>>
>>9365484
Same way you enjoy a film for more than its plot
>>
>>9364745
>I was wondering what benefits you experienced from reading.
why does retards always aks thins?
>>
It's not magical or some wondrous journey of the soul. Read to learn or be entertained. Or don't read at all, I don't really care. You're a douchebag.
>>
faggots
>>
I don't read much fiction but I would consider the following to be very rewarding to read that you can pretty much just pick up without any prior reading if you are interested:
> Hamlet
> Brave New World
> The Sandman graphic novel series
> Egalitarianism as a Revolt Against Nature
> Democracy: The God That Failed
> The Road
> 'Submission' by Houellebecq
> The Sleepwalkers
> A Short History of Man: Progress and Decline
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.