[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What relevance (other than historical) does ancient philosophy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: plato_1_320x320.jpg (40KB, 274x350px) Image search: [Google]
plato_1_320x320.jpg
40KB, 274x350px
What relevance (other than historical) does ancient philosophy have to the modern reader?
>>
>>9363265
i think the real no bullshit value of philosophy and maybe this is because i'm embarrassingly one of those new sincerity goons is that it allows you to empathize and understand another person's pov. like yeah if you don't value understanding where someone's coming from a lot of philosophy is quite useless, ancient or no, but that's really what it's primary value is to me anyways. like you can't understand everything about a person but you can understand the principals that lead them to thinking that way
>>
Nobody in the 20th century listened to Plato on how democracy can degenerate into tyranny, and it shows. I'm positive this century won't be different, and all this functional illiteracy isn't helping either.
>>
>>9363265
there's no progress in philosophy
>>
It's the source of all Western true vs. false/original vs. imitation values
>>
>>9363265
None to you, please don't read any, we have enough plebs spouting dumb opinions on philsophy already.
>>
Is 2000 years really that 'ancient'?
I can hardly remember that last decade of my life, it was that boring, and 2000 years is just 200 times that. People act as if greeks existed in the parallel dimension of anquity, but I feel that it's actually quite graspable. I'm sure if Plato was transported to our time, he'd easily intergrate.
>>
>>9363265
Think about it. If these guys were the first serious thinkers and they said some things, the thinkers that followed them wouldn't want to repeat what they already said. So by reading them chances are that you will find some interesting ideas that have nonetheless never been repeated by modern philosophy.
>>
>>9364071
Almost all social aspects are the same. There are however a lot of differences as to how society is run behind the scenes.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.