[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

which edition of the Canterbury tales has the best notes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: file.png (1MB, 900x700px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 900x700px
which edition of the Canterbury tales has the best notes?
>>
riverside maybe?
>>
File: IMGP0101edit.jpg (371KB, 1200x941px) Image search: [Google]
IMGP0101edit.jpg
371KB, 1200x941px
Riverside, overall, though Norton and Broadview also have decent editions. The Broadview Companion to Chaucer, though, is the best orientation I know of (and I've taught the Tales to third-year students). Check it out:
https://broadviewpress.com/product/a-companion-to-chaucer-and-his-contemporaries/#tab-table-of-contents
>>
>>9362935
and which is the most poetic?
for someone who cares more about poetry then accuracy.
>>
>>9362996
Aside from that old Penguin I keep around to help students who haven't gotten comfortable with the language, they all use original text, so the poetry is just Chaucer's in all cases.
>>
>>9362935

Any tips for becoming proficient in reading Middle English?
>>
>>9363324
just read any edition with notes????
or get an audiobook? what r u asking
>>
>>9363329

Just wondering what you did to become good at understanding and analysing it seeing as you teach 3rd years
>>
>>9363356
Well, endless years as a university student helped a great deal, and a few good medieval professors. After you've been forced to translate half of Beowulf, Chaucer's Middle English is fairly straightforward.
>>
>>9363989

>After you've been forced to translate half of Beowulf

I did the whole thing for fun on summer break.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.