[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Iliad discussion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: iliad.gif (138KB, 329x475px) Image search: [Google]
iliad.gif
138KB, 329x475px
Discuss the Iliad here and ask/answer questions

My question is, how are the Greeks uniting to fight against Troy? I know they follow Agamemnon, but I'm confused about how this works. Do various kings in Greece just unite together under him as their leader? Are there ranks, such as Odysseus, or Achilles being of higher rank than someone such as Nestor since they are kings?

And who commands what?

Agamemnon commands the Achaeans, correct?

I know Achilles commands the Myrmidons, so does this not make him an Achaean?

Who does Odysseus command? The Ithicans?

I'm just getting into this and trying to grasp it, so there's quite a few things like this which I don't quite understand.
>>
I just realised Nestor is a king, so now I'm even more confused about how the greek army works.
>>
>>9361484
http://pages.ucsd.edu/~dkjordan/arch/iliad/IliadGuide01.html
That is some pretty important background, definitely read it.
Back then Greece wasn't one country like we think about it now, which is why there are multiple kings.
Achilles, and Odysseus, and the like have their own troops, but Agamemnon is the commander of the entire collective army.
Achaeans, Danaans, and Argives all refer to the Greek army as a whole.
>>
>>9361526
not OP, but thanks for linking this. I'm starting the illiad soon and it seems that this will be very nice to have
>>
>>9361526
Thanks for the link. It is really well-written and entertaining too.
>>
>>9361484
>My question is, how are the Greeks uniting to fight against Troy?
To plunder a splendid city, or at least that was the original plan.

>Do various kings in Greece just unite together under him as their leader?
It's a military coalition, it needs somebody to give the orders, which would usually have you think of an old, experienced guy who is still in a good shape commanding a greater political power. Agamemnon is that man but he is not perfect, after all, nobody in Greek literature is, not even the gods.

>Are there ranks, such as Odysseus, or Achilles being of higher rank than someone such as Nestor since they are kings?
One city is a state that has one or more kings and one army. Homer's poems are set in a pre-polis era where a military aristocracy is in every city.

A king has troops of his own that he can distribute to his sons, as well as vassals that act as military commanders and advisors.
>>
>someone dies in battle
>greeks swarm to steal his armour and horses often dying in the process instead of continuing fighting

why does everyone say to start with the greeks when they were clearly retarded?
>>
>>9362388
Every Iliad thread there has to be this, or another one of a series of such inane remarks. How do you cretins even manage to find this board? Is 4chan that popular among American teenagers?
>>
what should one read after the iliad, the oddysey and aeniad?
>>
>>9362597
Your comment is even more inane than his.
>>
>>9362608
You read the Iliad again
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.