[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ever had a point in life where you guys just stopped reading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 177982.jpg (224KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
177982.jpg
224KB, 1680x1050px
Ever had a point in life where you guys just stopped reading books all together? It's been a while now, i used to indulge in books and material constantly, every day almost. Ofcourse i am studying for my Uni courses everyday but it's just not the same..

Now i find it boring almost, and i'm seeking to read some sci-fi literature or a fantasy book just to completely lose myself and re-ignite that fire. I certainly do miss that raw passion i used to have for writing and reading when it first begun. It depressed me sometimes really...
>>
>>9360628
Just read to show off to people so they can think you're smart and like you. There isn't really any other point so you might as well get to it.
>>
>>9360634
I understand the benefits that come with reading, but i have never done it for other people. I'm a massive fucking geek, but recently i'm obsessed with escapism...playing rpgs, practicing guitar, listening to new music and just getting lost in my own thoughts...but im desperately trying to bring myself back to my studies like i used to.

Perhaps its just a burn out and i need to buy some new interesting books.
>>
>>9360651
>but recently i'm obsessed with escapism
Not to be a communist, but don't call "escapism" something that is part of the capitalist system. There is no escape.

As for your predicament: try a more structured approach to reading. Like "I want to know late XXth c. French literature" better, or "I NEED to know the basics of sociology to understand X better". That helps a lot. Just reading is a road to nowhere, both intellectually and practically.
>>
>>9360706
Never implied that escapism isn't part of a capitalism system. Sometimes though we need a break and seek to turn our backs from all the hassle within the world.

Thank you though, i could try a much more structured approach now and delve right back into it.

Any of you had any similar experiences? Lack of passion? And how did you deal with it.
>>
>>9360721
>Any of you had any similar experiences? Lack of passion? And how did you deal with it.
Well, it turned out that my lack of willingness to read stems from personal problems or distractions. I took care of them (sounds trivial, but isn't) so I could start reading again. Additionally, I learned that I have my own taste and preferences, and just because Mr. Anon said that I desperately need to read Dostoevsky doesn't mean that I HAVE TO. So that helps, too. Read for yourself, not to suck up to some nebulous idea of an "intellectual".
>>
>>9360628
>Now i find it boring almost, and i'm seeking to read some sci-fi literature or a fantasy book just to completely lose myself and re-ignite that fire.

The genre is tapped out for me. The good stuff is rare. Vance, Wolfe, Donaldson, et. al.

You're left with the Brooks's, Goodkinds and garbage like that.
>>
>>9360791
Chalker is fantastic and most people haven't heard of him. He was lemmy's favorite scifi author.
>>
>>9360706
>Just reading is a road to nowhere, both intellectually and practically.
I've been stuck on that road a long time.
>>
>>9361005
iktf. I am never able to follow through with "goals" or other self-imposed structure, since I start doubting whether this structure is worth it or useful. Maybe I'm just not autistic enough.
>>
>>9361021
I don't have goals. I don't do or create anything. Mi'm just a passive consumer of culture.

I hate myself, but don't know how to change.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.