[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Acknowledgements

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: our guy.jpg (57KB, 576x436px) Image search: [Google]
our guy.jpg
57KB, 576x436px
Anyone have any advice for including acknowledgements in a 10,000 word undergraduate dissertation?

I'm doing an English Literature course and it was mentioned in a lecture that we can include acknowledgements e.g. 'thanks to my supervisor' etc., but I'm not really sure if it's standard practice or if it would look out of place and somewhat pretentious.

I don't want to not include an acknowledgement to my supervisor and them think I'm ungrateful, but equally, if my paper gets a shit mark it looks kind of retarded having acknowledged someone as though you've toiled over a masterpiece.

What do?
>>
>>9359207
Just be a good boy and thank your supervisor, your parents and Jesus. It's not rocket science.
>>
>>9359557
What if I'm a Chinese exchange student and Christianity is banned?
>>
>>9360560
Then you aren't since Protestantism and Catholicism are two of the five recognized religions in China.
>>
>>9359207
Thank the Online currency exchange discussion forum which has delighted you over the years.
>>
Instead of acknowledgements, give a 'fuck you' to all the haters
>>
>>9360610
>'fuck you'
>'also pls give me a good mark thx'
>>
>>9359207
You can probably tell already what grade you're going to get. Your supervisor will have warned you if the panel is going to judge you harshly. Assume that you're going to get a good grade, be proud of yourself for all the work you've put in, and write a short but heartfelt acknowledgment that thanks your supervisor and all your favorite profs.
>>
Literally nobody is going to read your undergrad thesis, let alone the acknowledgments.

T. Postgraduate student.
>>
>>9360635
>>9360639
I'm getting mixed messages here.

I had to write a piece of draft work for the guy and he seemed surprisingly pleased by it (at-least, as much as someone who has a PhD can care about an undergraduate).

I'm probably overthinking something that is irrelevant, but it seems like I probably should write an acknowledgement bit. Would thanking the five professors/lecturers (including a higher emphasis on my supervisor as one of those five) who have had a meaningful impact on my last year be sensible, or is that too much?

It was pretty much just mentioned off hand that we could do this (an acknowledgement section), but I'm not sure if we were meant to take from that a sort of 'you should do this, I can't tell you that you HAVE to do this, but fuck you if you don't', or if it really was just a thing they don't give a shit about. It just seems to me undergraduates are so lowly compared to these 50+ years of age PhD people that typing out 'boo hoo thanks so much omg u changed my life ty for all the help' seems kind of patronising.
>>
>>9360698
Anon, it isn't actually a big deal. Who has ever been annoyed at being thanked? Just follow this sample:

>ACKNOWLEDGMENTS
>I'd like to thank all my professors at [name of university] for challenging me to think creatively and critically and for helping me begin to understand [subject of dissertation]. I am especially grateful toward [Prof. 1], [Prof. 2], [Prof. 3], and [Prof. 4] for encouraging me always to think more deeply, inside the classroom and out. And finally, I cannot thank [Supervisor] enough, without whose support and expertise this dissertation would have been impossible.
>>
>>9360738
Yeah, you're probably right. Just seems like a very easy task to piss people off at the end of three years of suffering and 50k of debt.
>>
>>9360698
No, you're misunderstanding me.

Nobody will read it. But you SHOULD do it. Shit man, thats the mantra of academic reports.
>>
>>9360780
So you're telling me my supervisor who I know pretty well isn't going to read my 10,000 words? How is he going to assign my mark considering the fact there's a second, independent marker in his precedence?

Not trying to sound like a shit, I'm actually interested if there's a way the people deciding the future of my life have a way of doing these things.
>>
>>9360852
I'm being flippant, I'm trying to take the pressure off what your worried about. Just write a few thank yous, its not a big deal.

And no, your supervisor doesnt mark your thesis.

And yes, I know for a fact that markers skipped over huge chunks of my work.
>>
File: deepbreaths.gif (924KB, 500x460px) Image search: [Google]
deepbreaths.gif
924KB, 500x460px
>>9360852
>being this autistic
Jesus, anon, you need to calm down.
Obviously the people who are supposed to read your dissertation will read it, although maybe they will speedread boring parts. You've done it, you've won. Now graduate and be poor and depressed like the rest of us.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.