[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>send three of my recently completed poems that I put a lot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0215.jpg (829KB, 2598x3907px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0215.jpg
829KB, 2598x3907px
>send three of my recently completed poems that I put a lot of theory and craft into our to publishers
>wait 6 months
>the five or so places I submitted poetry to responds with a simple "we enjoyed__ but it's not right for us!!!!"
>look at their other published
>One poem was literally the word water rearranged a bunch of times each line

what the fuck man. Where can I publish modernist/naturalist poetry?
>>
>poetry
>theory

Pick one.
>>
>>9358182
>poetry
I found the problem.
>>
>>9358211
t. Water poet man
>>
>>9358182
>One poem was literally the word water rearranged a bunch of times each line
What? Like

Water
Water
Water water?
>>
post something of yours then, fag.
also post the water poem.
>>
Whats your problem son? I'll write you a poem. Go ahead, you can use it.

Stars and Strippers

God blows the US of ASS.
Haven't you heard: Crash!
That was your mom. What=?
You want a poem? How?
TRUMPTRUMPTRUM
PTRUMPTRMPTRMP
TRPTRPTRPTRTRTRRRRRRR
RISE RISE RICE
>>
You never did the Kenosha, kid.
>>
>>9358222
>>9358223

Can't even find it now, but it was just like this:

all I see is
water water water water sinking
water water water water water water
sinking water sinking water water water
water water water
. . .

you get the point

This is one of the poems I sent out:

Innocent Glaucus

O innocent Glaucus of the Argo!
The bosky turf revved immortality,
And though His scalened self senectuous,
Time has altered not the water of His.
To fade and to pass through modern tiding,
And not of the blue waves he takes hiding . . .
Woe is Glaucus of the sea--forced to see
Waves harsher than his cruel maiden Scylla.
Better to bathe in Lethes of the sea
Than to live until Earth shall cease to be.
>>
>>9358242
>O innocent Glaucus of the Argo!
I have bad news, anon

Neo-Classicism went out of style in the 1830s.
>>
>>9358251
>yet a poem of water by a black woman rearranged 40 times is "in"

That's why I'm asking if there is a journal/magazine for neo-classicism/modernist poetry.

The other two are not Neo-Classical. I sent three different ones to see if any found a spot in the journals. One was pretty contemporary, the other Modern.
>>
>>9358261

Yes, it's those liberal SJWs keep you down my friend. Not because your poetry doesn't relate to the (post)modern zeitgeist
>>
>>9358273
Yeah blame everything on the Germans why don't you.
>>
>>9358274
You've still got your name on, friend

Not sure what the Germans have to do with any of this, though
>>
>>9358274
aw jeez meant to put that as title
> zeitgeist
clearly an attempt to pin the blame on the Huns
>>
>>9358273
So because I don't want to write shitty poetry, I'm trying too hard?

For the third time, I'm just looking for some journals/magazines that aren't aimed towards postmodern poetry or any of that.
>>
>>9358290
Are you okay? You're replying to the wrong post. Worried for you.
>>
>>9358182
Hey man, no need to get sore over some poetry.
>>
File: pages 3.jpg (241KB, 1172x927px) Image search: [Google]
pages 3.jpg
241KB, 1172x927px
>tfw op is an idiot that can't get published when it's literally the easiest thing on the planet to do
>>
>>9358302
It's my passion. I'm not all too upset but it's frustrating.
>>
>>9358293
Have you tried google? Just about every poetry journal that isn't explicitly PoMo is stuck in the mire of literary modernism

If you're really getting so fucked about not writing PoMo than you should come up with your own aesthetic theory and publish your own journal. Don't try to frankenstein long-dead poetic movements like neo-classicism.
>>
>>9358294
well I was diagnosed with Schizotypal PD a week ago and I'm starting to thing I might literally be developing dyslexia because I've been misreading things for a few months now with increasing frequency
>>
File: images-2.png (8KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
images-2.png
8KB, 300x250px
>>9358308
Most things are.
>>
>>9358242
> scalened self senectuous
> sea see sea be
theres a reason this wasnt accepted... its snobby and also bad
>>
>>9358311
I don't think you can develop dyslexia but there are all kinds of mental health impediments to reading that are unrelated to intellectual disabilities.

Hope you're getting the help and support you need, man. Shit's rough.
>>
>>9358309
I'd love to just start up my own journal but I have no idea how that'll get started. In all seriousness I'll look into it

I'd just rather not force poetry to fit a certain mold for publishers

>>9358307
poetry is pretty hard to publish honestly
>>9358318
:'(
>>9358319
sure it is. Do something better
>>
>>9358323
It's pretty easy, especially if you're affiliated with a university. Creative project grant money, student union money, etc. Of course the more people you have on-board the easier to get funding and, well, legitimacy.

Also look into government and private sector grants for creative writing and such. There's all sorts of untapped money that you can get if you've got hustle and a brain.
>>
>>9358311
>>9358322
two years ago I was diagnosed with DPDR which basically means that I live in a state where I feel completely detached from my body. It honestly makes reading much easier because I can 'leave' the real world when I start to read and become fully absorbed in the story. Given a few sentences or a context of a scene from a book I've read I usually visualize the scene pretty accurately.
>>
>>9358293
>>9358323

I would disagree with you saying you have to publish shitty poetry, but I feel like poetry has had it's day in the sun. That's why reductive and abstract poetry about identity politics is all that's left

Write prose.
>>
>>9358338
I'm not amazing at prose. Pretty hard to find publishers who aren't somehow politically biased, too

Any prose lads care to drop in on the state of prose and submissions?
>>
>>9358338

*its day in the sun, not "it's"

looks like my prose is fucked, anyway
>>
>>9358357
Give yourself a break, man. It's okay.
>>
>>9358354

If you want to write something for a non-politically biased publisher, you better start reading Stephen King.

And writing genre fic.
>>
File: 1348427264880.png (450KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1348427264880.png
450KB, 640x480px
>>9358242
>O innocent Glaucus of the Argo!
Holy fuck i'm in tears.
What the fuck is actually wrong with you, O massive Spergulus?
>>
>>9358372
>hey look he posted a poem in a style I don't appreciate
>WHAT A FAG

You shouldn't be on a literature board
>>
>>9358242
this is too melodramatic. not even conservative mags will accept poems with straight vocatives in them.
>>
>writes a "poem" explaining that if he leaves the bathroom without a book he was jerking off, and if he leaves the house he might get laid
>already has several books of poetry published
Found this gem in some magazine. I just don't understand.
>>
>>9358307
Isn't that self-published?
>>
>>9358182
Why didn't you look into the journals BEFORE sending submissions? Fucking idiot.
>>
>>9358506
Can you imagine if it's not?

Guaranteed to be salt in any writers wound

OP, Being published is hard. I won't be Princeton young playwright award and I still find trouble getting anything published.
Good poem, but like other posters said, Neo-Classical is dusted over
>>
>>9358517
Who said I didn't, you ignorant fuck.

I looked through the issue that ended up getting published and I found the water poem.
>>
>>9358525
Won the*
Sorry
That's probably why
>>
>>9358354
It's just as bad if not worse. If anything, poetry is somewhat easier because there are no real standards. With prose editors get alot more autistic.
>>
>>9358261
What market is there for that kind poetry. Few want to read that and I think many are satisfied by the poetry made when that style was fashionable.
>>
This guy with poems.... If you want them to be read by humanz, your best bet is to stick them inside a bums asshole.
>>
>>9358323
>Salinated fields; boy unharmed by plow.
>Virile Odysseus! Amidst spray and sea foam
>(Aphrodite gives no berth) stern upon the prow.
>A score as yet to settle- to account for, how?
>Warrior and wanderer, heaven forced to roam
>Native Cephalonian, twenty years from loam!

i shit this crummy poem out in a few minutes for fun, but learn to take criticism man
>>
>>9358672
Not even him

But that's just purposely shit.
>>
>>9358697
hasha then right a poem dude and prove to me i should take youre criticism :)
>>
Doth'st thou not wonder?
If, at wend of breath,
The great Lung yonder,
Who we call Star's Space,
Returns, from darkness
Of her chest, the face
Of things to far end's end

LOL rhyming and profiling aint even mad bro. English is my third language.
>>
Poetry sucks
>>
>>9358779
4/10
Probably a spic
>>
>>9358804
Almost

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2u3Nrc1AUg
>>
>>9358242
Go to bed Goethe. People today want shitty postmodern formless slam poetry about 'social problems', not weimar classicism.
>>
>>9358654
For shitty poetry written by neckbeards? I imagine the market is nonexistent.
>>
>tfw Nobel prize winning poet only has 5 comments on his amazon book pages, instead of 6,000
>>
>>9360233

>>9360265

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-inauguration-poem-barack-obama-tyrant-scottish-heritage-a7530506.html
>>
>>9360310
>the Society of Classical Poets

I guess that's where OP can send his stuff. Though I would suggest he works a bit more on that Glaucus one before he shows it to the public.
>>
>>9360356
any constructive criticism?

That journal seems pretty prestigious. Likely needs some background in publishing
>>
>>9358242
You're trying way too hard to sound "classical" and in the end your poem is less understandable (vocabulary-wise) than Shakespeare and terribly pretentious. I can't decipher any real meaning or sincere emotion from all these Greek names.

>Lethes of the sea
What the fuck is this? "Rivers of the sea"? Do you realize how nonsensical this metaphor is?
And what's going on with that rhyme? There's none, then there's some, then it's all over the place and also it's comically lazy.
>>
>>9360376
Like some anon pointed out, sea-see-sea-be is pretty atrocious and your imagery seems rather weak. The opening line seems almost parodic of german classicist poetry.
>>
>>9360403
>>9360413
>>9360413
thanks cuties
>>
>>9358242
The way you described it I thought it would be something like:

water
twrae
ertwa
awret
rwtae

At least then it gives an image, a sensation, and some vague theory behind.
>>
>>9358242
yours is just as bad as that water one
>>
>>9360490
post your own work fag.

OP, your poem is fine. All of these fags who claim your rhymes are stupid are poetry retarded. The opening line is a little bad, but everything else is fine.

remember, /lit/ doesn't read, and they sure as hell don't know how to judge a poem.
>>9360403
How the fuck do you not know what Lethes is? Look it up
Rhyme isn't all there is to a poem though?? Why couldn't OP use internal and a few end rhymes?

>>9360413
Like this anon said, the imagery is blah. Sea-see-be-sea isn't bad. Don't worry about changing it
t. actual published poet
>>
>>9358242
I love neo-classicism poetry, but even this was a bit too much for me. If you combined the classic ideas/narratives with a more post-modern structure maybe it'd be okay...but man. Your word choice makes the poem excessively convoluted, and the rhyme seems very forced.
>>
>>9360507
Well, I'd think he was referring to the Lethe, I don't see why he would pluralize it.
>>
>>9360507
I know what Lethe is, that's why the metaphor makes no sense to me. Lethe is one specific river. How can a sea have a river? Not just a river, it has to have multiple(!) the river. (I wrote this intentionally, to capture how nonsensical the original line is.) I understand the point, but the metaphor is very, very awkward and clumsy.

And the rhyme? I don't know, I expect some consistency in that regard, throwing unusual rhymes around randomly doesn't sound good to me.
>>
>>9358182
Sorry OP but unless you're an established poet and have something under your belt people are gonna think you're jusy a tryhard. Stick to a modern sound and keep the rest tucked away somewhere safe so you can publish it in a collection.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.