[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Greek Mythology Book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_3651.jpg (583KB, 1389x454px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3651.jpg
583KB, 1389x454px
What's the best book for Greek mythology that allows me to read all the stories in depth? Sure, there can be commentary, but I want to read the stories for myself, for inspiration.

I've been browsing Amazon and there are many books, but I can't decipher which gives me all the stories and which gives commentary mainly. Help?
>>
>>9355716
all of the epics
theogeny
metamorphoses
>>
also the homeric hymns
>>
File: 1614269.jpg (23KB, 824x254px) Image search: [Google]
1614269.jpg
23KB, 824x254px
All the stories are have been open to multiple interpretations. If there's a compilation that goes through them all, I haven't heard about it.
Hesiod, Homer, Apollodorus, the Homeric hymns, and all the Athenian playwrights are decent source samples.

Robert Graves Greek Myths gives a great rundown of pretty much everything. Read that to see what you've missed from the above.
>>
>>9355716

It'd be great if there was a "bible of myth" but there isn't. Graves comes close but he only tells you the broad outlines of the myths. Just go to the sources - poems, tragedies, histories, etc.

If you want to have a general understanding of the body of myth Ovid's Metamorphoses is a great place to start. Most references to myths in modern literature are to myths from Homer, Vergil and Ovid. But especially Ovid.
>>
I was watching right now a documentary of the Greek mythology for the same reason (I want to understand The Odyssey), starting with documentals and video games is a good way to get evolved
https://youtu.be/Rl1fyO3HPjM
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-08-15-42-14.png (311KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-08-15-42-14.png
311KB, 1280x720px
This is the best one
>>
File: Demeter_Altemps_Inv8546.jpg (3MB, 1550x3550px) Image search: [Google]
Demeter_Altemps_Inv8546.jpg
3MB, 1550x3550px
>>9355933
It's very interesting, but very short. There's a lot more.
>>
Homer, Hesiod, Aeschylus and Euripides is all you need.
>>
>>9355759
this
commentaries are for pseuds and women, get the source materials.
>>
>>9356629
>Fuck learning context and subtext and fuck the alternative versions. Just read some of the source materials and try to figure it out all on your own, like a man!!!

Is /fit/ really still here?
>>
Anyone who writes off books on mythology in favor of "reading the sources" is a pseud, and probably cares less about the myths and more about appearing to know about the myths.

There are things you simply cannot get from the sources, like cultural context, information from fragmented writings, and historical knowledge, as well as the insight a professor can offer from having studied all of these things in depth, which is important with such an old and mostly lost world.
You should still read the sources though.
>>
>>9356725
I don't know, but why don't you go to /mlp/ and stay there? That's where the autism crowd usually hangs out.
>>
>>9355759
What about Apollodorus' Bibliotheca? That's what I've been reading as a precursor to Cypria and the Iliad - Theogony was going to be next.
>>
>>9357153
Are you the guy who made that thread about where to start the other day?
Either way, enjoy.
>>
>>9357159
Yes, I am. Thanks.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.