[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nassim Nicholas Taleb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: Taleb_mug.jpg (128KB, 793x776px) Image search: [Google]
Taleb_mug.jpg
128KB, 793x776px
Is there a reading order?
>>
File: IMG_20170408_021732.jpg (82KB, 480x594px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170408_021732.jpg
82KB, 480x594px
What did he mean by this?
>>
Eco is dead nice try
>>
>>9351852
he says you can read it in any order
might be fun to go chronologically
i just ordered antifragile as my first
>>
>>9351852
random. just don't be fooled by it.
>>
>>9351983
There was a chemical attack and syria and people wanted action.
Trump bombed a place in syria, killed no one, even warned the russians and people there before hand to leave.
No one cares about the chemical attack anymore.
Trump has shocked putin, made xi think about what trump is capable of, and brought congress togther in a rare support for him.

In the end this was a non event that wont lead to war.

It pissed off a lot of people in trumps base though.

Well you win some you lose some
>>
is antifragile too big for me?
I don't want to be wrecked so quickly
>>
>>9352012
>killed no one
16 were killed apparently

solid analysis though, however i'm not totally convinced this won't escalate into more action in syria. these things tend to snowball.
>>
You read it in random order you dummy
>>
>>9351852
Read Starting Strength first
>>
Scott Adams talks about this guy like he is the smartest man on the planet, is he actually worth reading?
>>
>>9354360
I personally think some of his ideas are really good and loved antifragile because it synthesized so many ideas
>>
>>9351852

The Black Swan is his most famous I think, because it came right before the financial collapse in 2008 and he made a lot of money off that. I don't think that's where you want to start though. I've only read Antifragile, but I think it's all you need. The books are basically Taleb explaining his worldview in relation to the big idea of the book, and Antifragile has the most interesting big idea and it came later so it has more ideas. Read his previous books if you really love Antifragile
>>
>>9352024
Anti-fragility is a straightforward concept and Taleb's prose is actually really nice. If you're halfway literate you'll have no problem with his work

https://youtu.be/tZonEaP5ts4?t=32s
>>
>>9354360
Say Scott Adams is right, that Trump is the best persuader in his lifetime. Does that make his actions just? Do his words matter because they are persuade us to trust him? What makes persuasion a meaningful end?

Scott Adams says we need a persuasive president because persuasion can help with healing after the divisiveness of the last 8 years. But I think persuasion can just as easily be used to drag us into a phony war we don't want a part of.

Taleb and Adams are the intellectual founders of the the 8D backgammon meme, and they explain how brillliant Trump is to do all this stuff. Nixon was brilliant too, manipulation can be used for evil. They seem to have a lot of trust that his skill in manipulation will be used for good.
>>
>>9352012
Supporting Trump is Taleb's SITG. If Trump turns out to be worse than W, Taleb will go down as the biggest IYI in history for supporting him.
>>
>>9353480
But then you could be... fooled by randomness
>>
>>9355974

>nixon
>brilliant

lol he tried to duke it out with the spy agencies with the mistaken belief he could out-spy the spies. dude got rekt legally because he couldn't cover his tracks. ford tried to carry out his legacy, but then he got shot, and ended up rearranging his cabinet to appease the deep state like the cuckhold he is
>>
>>9356035

This was a black swan out of nowhere.
>>
>>9356124

There was a would-be assassin, but Ford didn't get shot
>>
>>9356013
what do those terms mean?
>>
File: index.jpg (4KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
4KB, 299x168px
>>9356908
>>
>>9355974

You've been persuaded all your life faggot, you just haven't realized it because they smiled at you while committing heinous abuses of power.

Now someone comes along saying we've got real problems that you've been ignoring in your bubble and you scream Hitler.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.