[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reading sequel first

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

I got this used book for 10 bucks at a flea market, I haven't read the first one tho but I believe the story is pretty similar to the film version.
Should I start reading this and skip the first novel? Am I missing too much?
>>
>>9351325
If you want to get the most out of it, I'd read the first one. The first book had a different ending from the movie (if I remember correctly), and I think that plays a bit into the second book.

Also, $10 is a lot for a book nowadays. Got mine for $1-2 at a thrift store.
>>
>>9351366
The 2010 book is a sequel to the 2001 movie, not the book.
>>
>>9351325

I am also considering reading the Odyssey series, and I've been looking into this in a general way.

A local, GOOD sci-fi bookstore has 2061 and 3001 in hardback at decent prices; I may cop these despite not having the first two installments in book form.

>>9351366

>only cheap prose fiction paperbacks are books
>there are no other types of books

>>9351521
>>9351366

I did read 2001 just once, almost 20 years ago. The one big difference that registers with me from book to film is the simple fact that in the book, they go to Saturn, while in the movie, they just go to Jupiter (also depicted in the 2010 movie of course). So what the latter poster is saying makes sense to me, despite not having actually /read/ 2010...

Because I recently did a close watch of 2010, and I did find a copy of 2010 in another bookstore and flipped through it. The few pages I flipped through indicated that the film adaptation is a /very/ close adaptation of the Clarke text. I looked up the scene where the Bob Balaban character warns the others that HAL will be curious about their abrupt change of plans. "what do you want me to tell him?" etc. This is exactly like the movie.

As for 2001, it was an interesting collab. The first piece of actual media to be released in the whole media property was the /Kubrick film/ itself, which of course is the only thing that most people care about. Clarke did his own variation on same theme, released contemporaneously, just a bit later.
>>
>>9352163

For myself, I think I could easily just read 2061 and 3001 and not miss anything at this point, but my autism won't let me get those hardbacks without getting the first two as comparable versions.

There should be an omnibus of this stuff, the books aren't that long.
>>
>>9352163

Other autistic point worth mentioning:

The recent "Interstallar" film of course cribs many ideas and tropes from 2001, Carl Sagan, and Contact. Much of the latter can be explained by the friendship of Kip Thorne and Sagan, where meme-ideas inevitably spilled over/ripped-off from one to the other.

But the simple fact that "the big mission goes first to Saturn, THEN beyond" is EXACTLY like the 2001 novel. This is a point that I haven't seen made much, but to be honest I didn't look very hard for the point-by-point on these various things since I already knew so much of it off the top of my head.
>>
>>9352163
Even for a hardback you paid way too much
>>
>>9352195

I am not the OP, your reading comprehension is dog shit, and you sound like you've never purchased a desirable commodity in your life.
>>
>>9352203
rude
>>
>>9351325
>ten bucks
>for a secondhand genre novel
wut. It better be a first folio or something.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.