[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

books on human value

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 1469502193484.jpg (71KB, 500x708px) Image search: [Google]
1469502193484.jpg
71KB, 500x708px
I'm looking for books on the value of humans from different perspectives. I.e. elucidation on questions like these:
>is a sturdy worker worth the same as a totally disabled person?
>is someone with a university degree worth the same as an analphabet?
>is a convicted criminal worth the same as somebody with a clean record?
>is a doctor who's potentially going to save other human lives worth the same as a secretary?
>is an exceptionally talented musician or a paramount scientist worth the same as an unskilled worker?
I'm not only interested in the utilitarian point of view, I'm also curious about more profound moral aspects.
>is killing a fetus the same as killing a newborn?
>why do disabled people have the right to leech off of other peoples' hard work?
>do you have the right to reproduce if the likelihood of your offspring being genetically unhealthy is high?
>is capital punishment morally justifiable?
>if we had to kill off 99% of mankind, by which criterion should we determine who the 1% is going to be? maximal utility or maximal diversity?
>is it moral for members of a society to deliberatly not reproduce and to not make use their potential to the fullest?
>how should a society best deal with deliberately inconsiderate, greedy and selfish people?
>how should a society best deal with self-destructive or self-destruction inciting individuals if this became detrimental to the society itself?

Out of these, I'm the most interested in those having to do with adding value to society (in my examples, that would be the ones with (un)educated people, the doctor, the disabled folks, and reproduction). Any recommendations? You may also answer if you think you've got an insightful answer to any of these questions.

>inb4 bible / torah / ...
I want to read something inspiring and view-changing, not blind dogmata.
>>
I can't help you but you have interesting questions, if you do not get good answers here unironically try askphilosophy on reddit
>>
>>9346500
I will try that later, thanks
>>
>>9346480
i'm also interested, bumping this
>>
>>9346480
Moral value's are about the consent of the majority.

That's my view at this moment.

So, if for example, you're in a room with 100 people and you get the majority to agree with your views, that becomes the new moral value.
>>
>>9347319
I strongly disagree. There have been times in history where torture, rape, stoning, slavery and other cruelties were unanimously agreed upon, which does not make them any more moral.
>>
>>9347340
At that moment in time they were agreed upon and were the moral value.

As time goes on, the moral value's changed.

Put yourself in the shoes of those people.

Slavery:
Slavery how we know it today, wasn't how slavery was in the old times. Slavery was more akin to servitude. Did you know that labor and clerk jobs of these days were seen as "slavery"?

And what we call a "company" was seen as a "family" in the old times. In the family you had "slaves".

When it comes to rape. When your soldiers were on a long campaign from home and they were exhausted and depressed, the best way to cheer them up was through pillage and rape. Rape wasn't allowed when it came to people from your own country. There's more complexity to this then just "rape is good or bad" in those times.

About stoning and other cruelist. Well, I think other people might be able to explain the reasoning behind it. I'm still a pretty big noob to literature compared to people who have read hundreds of books.
>>
>>9347374
>unironically justifying rape and slavery so that they fit your definition of morality
Kill yourself

>Put yourself in the shoes of those people.
How about you put yourself in the shoes of the people who have been enslaved and raped?

>explain the reasoning behind it
You probably haven't yet thought of this but these things aren't moral, there's no explanation. Slavery is selfish and immoral, rape is a selfish lack of restraint and is immoral, torture is a sadistic lust for revenge and deeply immoral. The list goes on. You have to be a special kind of retarded not to see that.
>>
kuso thread
>>
>>9347454
What the fuck?

I'm talking about the past and how they thought about those things. I'm not talking about my moral values. Not everything is black and white.

Slavery as we know it today, isn't the same as it was in the old days.

About rape, yep, it's bad by our current standards. Back then it was seen as conquest and was seen as bad in a lot of situations as well.

Torture was also seen as something horrifying, but was justified and moral in certain cases. For example, a mass murderer or a rapist that needed to be tortured.

Okay, now about current moral standards that are "okay".

Polluting our air and water to make our life easier.
Cutting tree's for the comfort of our homes.
Wasting resources in general also for our own comfort.
Killing animal's for sport. (Which is still morally okay in a lot of places).
Physical aggression is also seen as okay morally in a lot of circumstances.
Mental aggression and manipulation is also seen as okay when the circumstance justifies it.

And way more. Stop thinking in black and white. Our tiny way of thinking is nothing compared to the vast universe. We're a little speck that contemplates subjectively about everything we know and see, even when we try to contemplate objectively.
The closest thing we have to objective thinking is science, which still isn't completely objective, since it's still tied to our own conscience.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.