[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it /lit/ only recommends fiction and so little non fiction?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: 1491467434306.png (775KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491467434306.png
775KB, 1920x1080px
Why is it /lit/ only recommends fiction and so little non fiction?
>>
because things that are fictional will always be better than real life
>>
>>9344539
The best books are based on the authors' own lives or people they knew or stories they heard.
>>
/lit/ constantly regurgitates what can be considered the literature "canon" which is fiction based.

their is no equivalent canon for non-fiction and /lit/ can't think for itself
>>
>>9344552
This is a good point, but it isn't so much that non-fiction lacks an authoritative canon, but a canon for non-fiction works is never definitive or final. I can shitpost on /lit/ all day about how Faust or Ulysses are the end-all-be-all and never have to challenge myself ever again ("I've read the best the world has to offer!"), versus if I try to shutdown debate by saying people are wasting their time not discussing Das Kapital, Montaigne's Essays, or 10 Principles of Economics, I rightfully get called out as a pseud who hasn't read the contemporary scholarship.

Discussion on Philosophy is more similar to fiction on here, more "Nietzsche/Wittegenstein ended philosophy" and less "What do you think of Street's evolutionary argument against moral realism," etc.
>>
I read a fair bit of nonfiction in strategy. The topic rarely comes up on /k/, because it's 50% gun ricing, 30% innawoods, and 20% derailing arguments over "ur an armchair general." Feel free to ask for recommendations. Random topics in strategy I can give book/paper recs for: strategic theory, economic/financial warfare, deception in war, military geography, military organization, logistics/interdiction, counterintelligence, manhunts.
>>
Non-Fiction is more niche.
>>
>>9344533
Because there are other boards for nonfiction. Want something STEM related? Go to /sci/. Want something political? Go to /pol/. Etc.

And, anyway, here on /lit/ we're dedicated to the pursuit of truth. In nonfiction you get small truths, facts, which taken together lead us to grand lies. Fiction, so long as it's Proper Literature, gives us narratives, the details of which are false, but which add up to Grand Truths about the Human Condition.
>>
I prefer non-fiction. I read art history so all my discussion here is telling everyone else they're wrong about art.
>>
>>9344648
>And, anyway, here on /lit/ we're dedicated to the pursuit of truth.
Literature, at least high quality one, is impressionistic and biographical, at best it's psychology, which isn't even a science in the literary sense.
>>
>>9344634
Anything you'd recommend that would lead to me profiting materially from the resulting strategic knowledge, as a civilian?

>>9344648
>Want something STEM related? Go to /sci/. Want something political? Go to /pol/. Etc.
Those bits of advice seem more or less as bad as telling someone to go to /lit/ for literature. Was that your point?
>>
>>9344694
>profiting materially

Can't say for sure, as I've never applied the knowledge in that domain. I guess the main literature that may be useful (or not) are: (1) books from business strategy that have been recommended by military strategists, and; (2) certain topics under economic and financial warfare, e.g. financial intelligence, risk management strikes. Economic and financial warfare books and papers tend to be purely how to break stuff (disrupt production/distribution of goods, services, money, credit) as opposed to positive money-making /biz/ schemes.

For (1), you'll want to read "Good Strategy/Bad Strategy: The difference and why it matters" by Rumelt for bare bones business strategy formation. Rumelt's theories have been used by recent Pentagon theorists in devising strategies for the "third offset" and A2/AD. You'll also want to read material that comes out of strategic consulting firms like McKinsey and the Boston Consulting Group (BCG). Books like "The McKinsey Way" and "The Boston Consulting Group on Strategy: Classic Concepts and New Perspectives". You'll also want to check out theorists like Henry Mintzberg and Kenichi Ohmae. The strategic concepts of BCG and Mintzberg have been particularly influential within American strategy in the last 20 yeras. Mintzberg's theories of organizational strategy are everywhere in military organizational theory. As is the BCG's theories on adaptation, organizational learning, and emergent strategy. A lot of this reading is high level material, so it may not be what you are looking for in a day-to-day sense.

1/2
>>
>>9344863

2/2

For (2), there is random grab bag of topics. No sure how useful these will be, because you obviously need more than an individual to carry out these sorts of information (or at least a person with high skills in other areas that might help, e.g. computer security). Certain financial warfare theorists have various ways to disrupt money and credit both at a macro (markets) and micro level (individual transactions). One of these attacks is "risk management strikes," where you expose targets to volatility and "black swans" through financial contagions, panics, and instability (obviously created by the people doing the targeting). One thing you begin to notice as you read military and law enforcement literature is that any book that has something like "how to protect x, or how to defend x" is also a book on how to attack x if you look at it the right way. With that concept in mind, a basic book on this that is also low on financial theory is, "The Butterfly Defect: How Globalization Creates Systemic Risks, and What to Do about It." More indepth is, "Connectedness and Contagion: Protecting the Financial System from Panics." You may also want to read Hyman Minsky's works on unstable financial systems. Taleb as well (I know he is a meme). For financial intelligence, you'll want to read the IMF's "Financial Intelligence Units: An Overview," which is how the IMF and world bank set up their FININT units. FININT is a big topic, probably also beyond every day stuff, as it deals with industrial espionage, export controls, tech acquisition, money laundering, forensic accounting, etc. If you aren't in the military/LE/intel, this stuff is probably only of interest to drug dealers, rogue states, or people that monologue. Can make recs, however.

There is also a whole bunch of interesting articles on the CIA website on this topic. These include:

>Intelligence for Economic Defense
>Government Spying for Commercial Gain
>Economic Intelligence by Howerton
>Analyzing Economic Espionage

Also have a bunch of recs for tax havens, tax shelters, and shell corporations. But again, probably beyond everyday stuff. Sharman's book "The Money Laundry: Regulating Criminal Finance in the Global Economy" is good here, as it uses empirical tests for money laundering through setting up shell corps, so some of the book is setting up shell corps for dummies.
>>
Because of muh prose style
>>
>>9344545
>OP
>wrong
>>
File: demiurge.jpg (22KB, 205x252px) Image search: [Google]
demiurge.jpg
22KB, 205x252px
People here are obsessed with aesthetic and consider content secondary, in non-fiction too, disturbingly.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.