[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

kant's theory of mind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: 660px-Kant-taxonomy.svg.png (17KB, 660x438px) Image search: [Google]
660px-Kant-taxonomy.svg.png
17KB, 660x438px
can someone please help to explain how the pieces fit together. this image doesn't make sense to me. the more i read about it, the more i'm getting lost. at first i understood it like this:
>there are things in and of themselves, and there are appearances of those things
>we have access to those appearances through sensibility, made possible by a priori intuitions of space and time
>judgements of understanding are produced by applying concepts, like that of causation, to those appearances
>since space and time are intuited in the sensibility that produces all appearances, judgements of understanding re: those appearances will be universally valid for all appearances in space and time
>>
anyone?
>>
Not an expert, but for what I know Kant thought that:
1.The world we perceive (through senses) is not "the real world", which would be the noumenon (what things are when not perceived by our senses, their attributes basically --which kind of fits well with quantum physics (objects get affected by our senses because we're sending protons which shape its particles/wave)--)
So then he wonders what can we know with transcendental truth (a priori, without the senses --because they are kind of a looking-glass that doesn't present reality in itself and we cannot get rid of it--): this pure concepts are the analytical a priori truths (which nowadays I don't think they stand as something accepted), which would be concepts taken out purely from logic from an axiom that has no reliance in the empirical knowledge. But what we can know though, is that space and time are conditions understood by our body (the four dimensions) and from that I guess you could try and get out a Pure Concept (but then again, no one has come out with an axiom that nowadays would be considered a Pure Concept --Hegel would nod happily and agree with modern society--).
I'm not sure whether I've answered anything, but I wasn't sure what you were asking either to be fair.
>>
>>9339722
thanks. trying to figure out how his theories of appearance, sensibility, intuition, judgements, understanding, etc. fit together to form his theory of mind. i think the image is attempting to do that, but doesn't really make sense to me.
>>
the pieces are joined in critique of judgement. the confusion maybe arises from his belief in "subjective universality", and the graph is convoluted to make it happen.

>But there is still further in the family of our higher cognitive faculties a middle term between understanding and reason. This is judgement, of which we may reasonably presume by analogy that it may likewise contain, if not a special authority to prescribe laws, still a principle peculiar to itself upon which laws are sought, although one merely subjective a priori. This principle, even if it has no field of objects appropriate to it as its realm, may still have some territory or other with a certain character, for which just this very principle alone may be valid.

>The result is that the judgement of taste, with its attendant consciousness of detachment from all interest, must involve a claim to validity for all men, and must do so apart from universality attached to objects, i.e., there must be coupled with it a claim to subjective universality.
>>
>>9339678
you should have a definition of all those terms by the time you finish reading the CPR.
>>
>>9340250
do you think the cpr, as opposed to prolegomena is necessary to move to hegel, etc.
>>
>>9340272
what is etc. supposed to stand for, the german idealists? if so: they all philosophize according to the spirit of kantian critical philosophy; not to the letter. they cared little about kants specific comprehensive reasoning (especially true for hegel). prolegomena will do.
>>
>>9339458

I think its very self explanatory when you just take it at face value
>>
>>9340387
thought very wrongly. there is little to take at face value here. those terms have unusual content
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.