[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

please help a brainlet

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: pepe papu.png (379KB, 655x527px) Image search: [Google]
pepe papu.png
379KB, 655x527px
o smartest board of the Hub help me please explain this to me I just wanna know how is the inseparability of subject matter and form only achieved solely by music

>Art, then, is thus always striving to be independent of the mere intelligence, to become a matter of pure perception, to get rid of its responsibilities to its subject or material; the ideal examples of poetry and painting being those in which the constituent elements of the composition are so welded together, that the material or subject no longer strikes the intellect only; nor the form, the eye or the ear only; but form and matter, in their union or identity, present one single effect to the "imaginative reason," that complex faculty for which every thought and feeling is twin-born with its sensible analogue or symbol.

>All art constantly aspires towards the condition of music. For while in all other kinds of art it is possible to distinguish the matter from the form, and the understanding can always make this distinction, yet it is the constant effort of art to obliterate it. That the mere matter of a poem, for instance, its subject, namely, its given incidents or situation — that the mere matter of a picture, the actual circumstances of an event, the actual topography of a landscape — should be nothing without the form, the spirit, of the handling, that this form, this mode of handling, should become an end in itself, should penetrate every part of the matter: this is what all art constantly strives after, and achieves in different degrees.
>>
It's not. Pater is a faggot. Go read something else.
>>
>>9339038
like what
>>
>what is abstract art and poetry
>>
>>9339030
>smartest board
>>
>>9339052
Lacan.
>>
>>9339134
particularly what books

lacan's field is general and too obfuscated
>>
File: 1487505645557.jpg (37KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1487505645557.jpg
37KB, 657x527px
>>9339030
>Smartest board
No such thing as a 'smart' board.

Welcome to /lit/ The Shithole of the Pseuds!!
>>
>>9339030
>how is the inseparability of subject matter and form only achieved solely by music

It's not, this was written over 100 years ago.
>>
>>9339486
i put that just to flatter you and it's not the point of this thread
>>
>>9339491
are there any books that would let me understand more about matter and form?

thanks in advance
>>
>>9339497
In general I'm not sure but you could read Clement Greenberg's writing on formalism in painting, like Towards a Newer Laocoon. Formalism is outdated too but it's still interesting to read.
>>
>>9339030
I think Arthur C. Danto's The Artworld is exactly what you're looking for.
>>
Bump for essays on aesthetics.
>>
>>9339574
Thanks

although I appreciate more essays for concise introduction, patrician world won't wait for a pleb like me
>>
>>9340155
It is an essay
>>
See the very readable Introduction to Hegel's book on Aesthetics (the Lectures on) placing Poetry above Music, when grading the arts. Also note the word 'condition' in the passage quoted above-- does it not also suggest the idea of Limitation? You can probably find a very concise breakdown of Hegel's position on the web: He also considers Architecture, Sculpture, and Painting. Pater, by the way, is a subtle impressionist, if very capable critic. Quite difficult to use as an arguable basis for any position that isn't already his own.
>>
>>9341573
How is poetry an inessential sensuous medium? What is hegels deal with poetry striving to become philosophy
>>
>>9339030
/q/, /diy/, and /sci/ are all smarter than /lit/
>>
I image this refers mainly to what makes music music. That being, of course, not the lyrics or rhythm or melody but the simple conveyed sound as itself.

So what I imagine he is talking about is the simple fact that one musical note conveys only itself. What we call that note is applied later, so it doesn't tell anything about itself other than its sound.

While we can separate the words of a poem from what it tries to convey and how a painting looks from the patterns we see with our developed eyesight, we can't do that as easily with music.

There is no chord for "sadness," but there are colors that are naturally associated with it and word imagery that can also convey it.

A chord in the end describes only itself.

I don't know the truthfulness of what I just typed, but that is what I gather from the passage.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.